glow plug news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glow plug news

yesterday i removed the rail and found a long chipboard screw and put it down the glow plug hole.
    then with a phillips i turned clockwise to screw into the broken tip. i screwed pretty tightly.
    Will this tip budge??? absolutely not!

i grabbed the end of the screw with the pliers and pulled till i went red in the face. not a single bit of movement.
    i got the hump and tried pushing it in, and it wont go in either! - bit lucky really, i could have been without a car for xmas

so..
    now im thinking bigger cam, and some slight head work when it comes off to get the tip removed.
    but may be thats just silly talk.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

why not fit four extra cylinders while you've got the bonnet up?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-Range-Rov...QQcmdZViewItem
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Pre heater tip

I would put some vinegar (mildly acidic) in the heater pocket and leave for a day or so, and if that dont work get a drill about the size and SLOWLY drill it out but make sure the drill bit is dipped in silicone or thick thick grease.
      Silicone sealer is better as it will not thin down with the heat of |SLOWLY drilling out the offending tip.
      The idea of the silicone sealer is to get as much of the tip and drillings to stick to the drill and not go in to the cylinder.
      Tiny pieces will not hurt the engine as long as they are small pieces as they will pass by the valves and exit via the exhaust.
      I have done this on marine engines quite a few times.
      Try the vinegar first and you may get lucky.

Mike

Comment

Sounds like a Total pain in the butt you got yourself into mate!

I hope you got loooads of Copper slip on the rest of the plugs!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
          Sounds like a Total pain in the butt you got yourself into mate!

I hope you got loooads of Copper slip on the rest of the plugs!

no. because the actual plug came out fine. just the ceramic tip broke off, about 1/2 - 3/4 inch of it. the thread etc is brand new!
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by muller1
            I would put some vinegar (mildly acidic) in the heater pocket and leave for a day or so, and if that dont work get a drill about the size and SLOWLY drill it out but make sure the drill bit is dipped in silicone or thick thick grease.
            Silicone sealer is better as it will not thin down with the heat of |SLOWLY drilling out the offending tip.
            The idea of the silicone sealer is to get as much of the tip and drillings to stick to the drill and not go in to the cylinder.
            Tiny pieces will not hurt the engine as long as they are small pieces as they will pass by the valves and exit via the exhaust.
            I have done this on marine engines quite a few times.
            Try the vinegar first and you may get lucky.

Mike
            what a good idea! i completely understand this!
            i will try the vinigar first and hopefully it pops out,

is ceramic softer than metal? i thought it was but then i was reminded they make brake disks out of the stuff :/

do you feel like trying this on my engine some time?
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Have I just been lucky??? I've changed mine twice with no problems at all......
              Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
                Have I just been lucky??? I've changed mine twice with no problems at all......
                your injectors have probably been fine.
                i had a very slight miss fire when i got my truck which was cured with reddex. but i suspect that with less than normal injectors and 12-15psi turbo boost, one of the cylinders ran lean and got a hot spot.
                this then has deformed the tip of the glow plug

this is only a guess though
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                X