finally got broadbandings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally got broadbandings!

got home this evening to find a nice little box with my adsl router and all relvant cables

been almost 2 weeks so i should think so by now... tiscali! tut...

so i specifically asked for ethernet out of the $$$$py router thing they sent me, this is so i can plug it in to my own router OR plug the ethernet cable into to wall socket and use the mains wiring to link up my xbox in my room to play online... they said thats no problem, they do both.
    i specifically asked for ethernet cables! but it came with a USB
    WHY?!

why do companies always do this sort of thing?
    now, the only way to get connectivity in the other room is to run the internet to my pc usb port, then use one of my pc's ethernet ports into the wall and connection sharing. so my pc has to be on for no reason.
    im going to call them up tomorrow. its pants

/end rant
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

go wireless!!!!!!!!!!
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

no way hosay!

the throughput on wireless at 54mb is less than a connection at 14mb!
      packet loss over wireless is random and causes games to jitter and lag.

example: i will be racing down the straight almost side by side with someone over the internet, then there will be some lag that would make either my car hit him and spin off or him do that to me.. ruins the game! lol
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

go online and get the tiscali router settings, discard their router/modem, input the settings to your own router and use that. Thats what I have done with three providers now, works fine. H

Comment

well you did choose tiscali....so did I unfortunately, customer service is expensive and vertuately nonexistant and not being racist in any way the last 'tech' I tried to comunicate with sounded like a 'put put' marine engine under water in a paddy field, connection was over an internet line with horrendous echo and delay and he blamed BT (I think!) WTF
          Mine came USB as well, it's in the drawer! I got a Belkin wireless router plugged my PC direct and use the wireless side for my sons PC and my laptop, he hasn't reported any gaming probs (and as he is a sad 27 year old I am sure I would have heard by now!!)
          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
          Tony

Comment

they probably dont do an ethernet one.. it was a trick
            im still going to call up on monday to have a moan.

thing is, i spent £50 on a netgear router but its ethernet only. it would means spending £60 for the same router but adsl..

if the tiscali router was ethernet then all my stuff would plug together!

tony i like your description of them. virgin media are the same.
            ive been shouted at by some woman because she wasnt explaining herself and i was asking her to.
            me: where on the screen should i look for this code, because there isnt one
            her: look at the screen and tell me the code
            me: there isnt anything there, where should it be on the screen?
            her: look at the screen
            me: where abouts?
            her: on the screen, ON THE SCREEN! ON THE SCREEN!

typical
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
            X