Using a Hair drier to start the car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Hair drier to start the car?

My new glow pluds have not arrived yet and I know tomorrow the Hilux is going to be a pig to start.

I had this idea of spending 5 mins with a hair drier warming up the fuel filter and maybe the inlet manifold, before trying to start it is this a daft idea?
    I Love Wales

Originally posted by 24Seven
    My new glow pluds have not arrived yet and I know tomorrow the Hilux is going to be a pig to start.

I had this idea of spending 5 mins with a hair drier warming up the fuel filter and maybe the inlet manifold, before trying to start it is this a daft idea?
    The inlet might help, but you'd still look silly! They normally start after a bit of cranking, even with no working glowplugs, just need good batterys. It'll just be little lumpy for 30 secs or so.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yes its a daft idea! It may help a little but if its gonna be a pig, itll still be a pig after that.
      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

I once wired up a 12v hair dryer up the air filter pan on the serrera on a switch, complete bl00dy waste of time
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

hehehe!! you said glow pluds!

Comment

I always fancied one of those Kenlowe pre heaters for the winter so that the old girls always warm anyone else got one fitted.
            Last edited by Highlander1; 16 December 2007, 18:55.
            www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander1
              I always fancied one of those Kenflow pre heaters for the winter so that the old girls always warm anyone else got one fitted.
              I have this as does the yeti -
              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

More details please where from how to fit does it plug into a socket in the garage overnight.

Cheers JB

ps I should have types Kenlowe not flow.

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander1
                  More details please where from how to fit does it plug into a socket in the garage overnight.

Cheers JB
                  Thats just a fuel heater, I thought you where talking about core plug heaters and electric water pumps to preheat the engine.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Thats just a fuel heater, I thought you where talking about core plug heaters and electric water pumps to preheat the engine.
                    Yep Tony ones to plug into the garage wall socket to pre heat the coolant.

The fuel heater would be good for the veg oil though.

Comment

I'ts 12v, and sited just before the filter (I am considering fitting a 2nd after the filter).

I switch it on once the glowplugs have got Hippo started.

It's got a built in thermostat which will turn it off once the block has reached a set temp (I think it's 55c)

Trev

Comment

neat little unit that, how much if you dont mind me asking? wonder if i could make summat similar, i managed to knock up this "tee" to take the sender for the post veg oil exchanger, been a bit worried about useing a glow plug tho, i've heard it can burn the oil,
                        Attached Files
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Is it a third gen....

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE
                            neat little unit that, how much if you dont mind me asking? wonder if i could make summat similar, i managed to knock up this "tee" to take the sender for the post veg oil exchanger, been a bit worried about useing a glow plug tho, i've heard it can burn the oil,
                            It cost me just a tadge over 20 quid

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                              It cost me just a tadge over 20 quid
                              hmm how much for fitting one??

Comment

Working...
                              X