X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Spray Painters Info Please

Guys some advice I’m refurbishing some alloys
    They will have gloss black centres and a polished lip
    Should I lacquer the whole wheel lip included or leave bare after polishing and just clean and re polish as required?
    Brian

anyone??
    Brian

Comment

not a paint expert mate !!

but i would lacquer the whole wheel and then there will be no edge to start peeling, any help ?
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie
        Guys some advice I’m refurbishing some alloys
        They will have gloss black centres and a polished lip
        Should I lacquer the whole wheel lip included or leave bare after polishing and just clean and re polish as required?
        When i did mine (polish em i mean), i did'nt laquer them mainly cos it always gets scratched and looks tatty after a while, the polish is holding up really well, just went over em with autoglem after buffing and still shiney after several months, plus it's easy to whip em over with autosol if ya want, laquer tends to discolour too
        Attached Files
        Last edited by POPEYE; 14 December 2007, 17:33.
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Gents thankyou so you would leave the black just paint as well as to do only the center would leave a lip to start peeling??
          Brian

Comment

Gents thankyou so you would leave the black just paint as well as to do only the center would leave a lip to start peeling??
            If it's straight black i would'nt bother with laquer but if it's matalic paint then it'll look better laqured, does the center spider unbolt, (is it split rims ya got?)

Laquer wont stop the black peeling and may peel off it'sself if it aint got a good adeshion, and make sure yyour doing them in a warm place or the laquer/paint will mist up (damp and cold) if possible warm the wheels first
            Last edited by POPEYE; 14 December 2007, 17:40.
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Very similar to the pic you added with a smaller lip at work so can't get pics the now was going with a flat gloss blck center
              Brian

Comment

dont lacquer the rim it will turn yellow.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Cheers lads will give you a look at them when there done.
                  Brian

Comment

Cheers lads will give you a look at them when there done.

If you're using black Smoothrite paint, warm the tin first, it makes the finish more glossy and it will adhere to the wheel better.

Comment

Cheers mate will do is that paint a good choice for the wheels?

O and look 500
                      Brian

Comment

Cheers mate will do is that paint a good choice for the wheels?

O and look 500

Yes. Give the part of the wheel you're gonna paint a wipe over with cellulose thinners first. You can clean off/thin Hammerite with too!

I used satin black Smoothrite on my wheels four years ago and it's still on there, even after doing the Strata Florida!

Comment

I agree with Vince and heat the wheel too before applying the paint and keep it warm as you apply it. If you are using aerosol cans stick it in very hot water and keep shaking till the mixture is evenly heated inside.

As said polish the alloys you could use 2 pack laquor but it will turn white in places in the end. So stick to polish everytime you wash.

Cheers JB
                          www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

I agree with not lacquering the polished rim cos it's not long before damp gets under it and corrodes the alloy. Trapped under the lacquer it really eats into it, the bare polished alloy will stay good with an occasional polish. Etch prime the painted part if you're going back to bare metal.
                            Anyway its a two by four most of the time....

Comment

The wheels have been bead blasted mate so they are right back I assume a clean them stright into primer will do then just fine?? not the lips of course I have a polishing kit for them .
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X