Advice to Forum Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice to Forum Members

If any Forum Members have young children, i would by them an old Combi Boiler to play with. Teach them how to take it to bits and put back together again and you will be gauranteed that if they become Corgi Plumbers and move to London, they will earn £90.00 and hour.
    The one comming to my house in a couple of hours to replace, what he says is a defective pump, is going to cost me minimum £140 plus pump.
    Philip
    Still Searching,
    Dick Whittington

Originally posted by Philip
    If any Forum Members have young children, i would by them an old Combi Boiler to play with. Teach them how to take it to bits and put back together again and you will be gauranteed that if they become Corgi Plumbers and move to London, they will earn £90.00 and hour.
    The one comming to my house in a couple of hours to replace, what he says is a defective pump, is going to cost me minimum £140 plus pump.
    Philip
    i've just had a new combi boiler fitted Phillip and will see if the heat exchanger is any good for the truck
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

so thats 2 water pipes and 1 electrical connection then... sounds like half an hours work to me...
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
        Philip
        The one who says he's coming to your house in a couple of hours you mean.....

My girlfriend went through three before she could find one who would kindly charge her £350 (parts and labour) to swap the heat exchanger in her boiler.

Did you see my post the other day on petrol fuelcats by the way? I kind of presume you would only ever say they are good and definitely work, but I'd be interested to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
          so thats 2 water pipes and 1 electrical connection then... sounds like half an hours work to me...
          So that'll be Best part of £100 for turning up, and a cut for gordon Brown as well!
          Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
            Did you see my post the other day on petrol fuelcats by the way? I kind of presume you would only ever say they are good and definitely work, but I'd be interested to know.
            Fuel cats do nothing, as far as I can find out.

Comment

Originally posted by cataclysm
              Fuel cats do nothing, as far as I can find out.
              Those with the diesel ones fitted say they definitely make a difference. The petrol one is a very different animal though and I am interested in what it actually does (I think it's a load of metal that dissolves in the petrol to provide a lead substitute).

Before you dig a hole, I take it you don't know that Philip is Mr Fuelcat??

Comment

is that like Robert "Bob" Parr being Mr Incredible?

Does the petrol one not have the inline fuelcat unit as well as the 4 metal cylinders in the keepnet that go in the tank?
                i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                  is that like Robert "Bob" Parr being Mr Incredible?

Does the petrol one not have the inline fuelcat unit as well as the 4 metal cylinders in the keepnet that go in the tank?
                  Yeah, I mean most diesel ones seem to be the inline heated combo whereas the petrol one seems to be a basket of pellets that you chuck down the filler neck.

Comment

Those with the diesel ones fitted say they definitely make a difference. The petrol one is a very different animal though and I am interested in what it actually does (I think it's a load of metal that dissolves in the petrol to provide a lead substitute).

They both do nothing (in fact, both are the same thing). If you hunt about the web, you'll find various reports on them.

It claims to reduce knock/improve combustion/improve octane. What it actually does is force you to take your fuel system apart and clean it.

None of the people selling these things (that I've seen) has done an A-B-A test:
                    1-A) Test vehicle without device
                    2-B) Install device & test vehicle
                    3-A) Remove device & test vehicle

Proper testing agencies follow this, and where installing a device does improve anything, the improvement stays after the device is removed.

Hands up anyone who really does maintain their vehicle like they should?

Comment

me, 100% of the time, and more frequently service my motors than any manufacturer recommendations. saves me a fortune in the long run.

so, do you have any linkable proof that shows fuel heaters do nothing?

Comment

Yeah, I mean most diesel ones seem to be the inline heated combo whereas the petrol one seems to be a basket of pellets that you chuck down the filler neck.
                        i've got the basic diesel one (not fitted of course, along with a load of other mods sitting in the big box!!!) which is the fishnet full of 4 metal pellets and a non-heated cylinder which goes inline. so the petrol one is literally only the pellets then?

BTW, if the pellets dissolve to incease octane levels in the fuel for the petrols, is that the same as the pellets in the diesel net too?

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                          so the petrol one is literally only the pellets then? No idea. I think there is an inline one but I don't understand what else it does or if it's an addition or a substitute for the bag o'metal

BTW, if the pellets dissolve to incease octane levels in the fuel for the petrols, is that the same as the pellets in the diesel net too? I suppose so. Hopefully Philip will re-appear and tell us at some point

Comment

Me. It costs a bl00dy fortune too.

If I can get better economy by chucking a bag of metal down the filler neck I don't really care if it would somehow still be better if I took said bag of metal back out again. Maybe we should all club together to buy one, tie it to a piece of string and dunk it in each other's fuel tanks one by one

Comment

Some of those prices are crazy!

to swap a pump would probably be about £30 + cost of the pump.

My dads just finished his Corgi tests for this coming 5 years an whilst there he spoke to one bloke who charges £150 to service a gas fire.

We did one the other day an charged £20...

Comment

Working...
                              X