the southern alps with surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the southern alps with surf

just got back (well yesterday) from a snowkiting trip in the southern alps, at lago bianco in switz. about 11 miles or so from the italian border. thought would drive over in my 2.4 surf rather than take the ryanair flight. loads of snow up there, new 50/50 tyres came in very handy! all was well apart from forgetting the anti freeze on the first day...! needle shot into the red but then engine defrosted, seems ok as made the 13hr trip back to the euro tunnel in one hit

attached a few pics of our surf expedition!

The road from Lago Bianco to Livigno. visibility bad at times!

parked up at the top of lago bianco, by the train station

the train tracks covered in snow; wind blowing lots of snow up

this what we came for!

the toll into italy totally snowed in and closed at the moment

the edge of the frozen lago bianco with one of the alps behind

driving back, the snow was falling faster than the ploughs could clear it. this was one of the better sections
    problems? i'll take 'em.

Awesome pics.

Nice feeling to be in a truck in the bad weather eh?

Wouldn't fancy that lot in a SMART car hehe...
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Nice pics- can't wait for a bit of snow here!

Comment

Originally posted by skyhooked
        the toll into italy totally snowed in and closed at the moment
        Nice pics... I'm green with envy!

Is that a broken indicator?

Comment

Nice shots. Im off to Les Arcs 1800 on Tuesday for 2 weeks in the surf. Cant wait. Its 85cm snow at resort level so them snow chains will be going on i hope!
          Kite Surf

Comment

Originally posted by cataclysm
            Nice pics... I'm green with envy!

Is that a broken indicator?
            thanks for checking the pics all!

aye cataclysm, that is a busted indicator. i have the replacement cluser here at home, totally forgot about it and left it here and did the whole trip with that. lucky not to get pulled over i guess...then again the rozzers over there probs find it a bit chilly to get out of the car for such trivial things!

still, need to get it swapped over. just been a tad lazy...!
            problems? i'll take 'em.

Comment

Were you using an inflateable kite, ifso what size and what kind of wind speed did you ride on. Thinking of taking my 15m Naish but it might be a bit excessive
              Kite Surf

Comment

Cold

One thing to remember whendriving in 0 temps is to use windscreen washer which i assume has anti freeze in it.
                Philip
                Still Searching,
                Dick Whittington

Comment

Well done said the green eyed envious beardy monster. Did you buy veg oil to ease the cost and what was the veg price like in Europe.
                  www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Originally posted by surfstar
                    Were you using an inflateable kite, ifso what size and what kind of wind speed did you ride on. Thinking of taking my 15m Naish but it might be a bit excessive
                    hi mate sorry for the late reply been away for a few days

yep - 15m LEI no probs, the wind can be lightt there just like here, and as you know you need a bit of grunt to get 'planing' on that powder.

we had LEIs, foils, all sorts, wind was anything from nothing to 25knots, though not all in the same day of course heh heh

@ highlander: didn't use the veg oil, just regular diesel the whole trip, worked out just about £1 a litre in switzerland. couldnt tell you the price of veg oil out there, sorry.
                    problems? i'll take 'em.

Comment

Hi mate, good to hear from you.

Looks like the truck enjoyed itself.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

NICE PICS!
                        im thinking about just driving over to the alps again next year, if not then up in the highlands somwhere.

how was the driving? did you use snow chains?
                        i never thought about chains, but thought i would need full time 4wd!

the mountain roads are wind-ey and dangerous when theyre wet, whats it like in the snow?
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

heh heh thanks tone! yep the truck loved it! i'm surprised that after nearly 2 years i'm still into driving the thing. more surprised though at how reliable it is since having new head put on!

dieselboy: i really want to get up into the highlands too...i kept thinking about it whilst up in the alps

i didn't use snow chains, i fitted new 50/50 tyres from can't remember the name but that place that most people buy parts from, on the tinterweb. not millers, the other one. (if it is even called millers!)

anyway the tyres were said to be for those that like to get dirrrty!

used 4wd and low ratio 4wd a bit, when there was loads of fresh snow on the roads and they were winding and steep. there was reported 120cm snow at resort level before we left, it wasn't melting when we were up there that's for sure

the swiss are so organised with ploughing and salting the roads....most folk were bombing about in standard cars with standard tyres. however there are patches of road away from the towns and resorts that are tricky as you like. the only people we saw out there were imprezas, land rovers and porsche cayennes! and then of course us, in the oldest vehicle currently running in switzerland!

it was a hell of a lot of fun though, i didnt this on to my passenger mate lest he would want a go! he did catch on to how sure footed the truck felt. what was a snowkiting trip had half the fun for me in driving the surf. it is interesting to see what they can deal with
                          Last edited by skyhooked; 20 December 2007, 00:20.
                          problems? i'll take 'em.

Comment

sounds like you had a good time mate.
                            where did you sleep?
                            when we were in chamonix in august i looked at prices when it was in season - so like nowish and they were 4x as much! and they are probably completely fully booked now.

i may take a trek down to the alps again early next year just for the fun of it!
                            :
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                            X