Sorry another glow plug question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry another glow plug question.

ok my knowledge of diesels in poor at best but just popped out and had a look at the in my truck engine. Am i right in thinking that the top of the glow plug has what appears to be a bolt that you would remove with a large flat blade screwdriver?

I have had a close look at it appears one of these is missing and the one next to it is broken. I'm pretty sure if toyota designed them to be there then they need to be.

I'm really sorry this is a dumb a.s question.
    Tequilla - breakfast of heros.

Originally posted by Muddy Boots
    ok my knowledge of diesels in poor at best but just popped out and had a look at the in my truck engine. Am i right in thinking that the top of the glow plug has what appears to be a bolt that you would remove with a large flat blade screwdriver?

I have had a close look at it appears one of these is missing and the one next to it is broken. I'm pretty sure if toyota designed them to be there then they need to be.

I'm really sorry this is a dumb a.s question.
    Those might be the dust covers... don't know (mine lost it's ones before I got it)

There should be 4 or 6 glow plugs (one for each cylinder) they have a tiny nut and thread (7 mm?) on top... they are where the spark-plugs would be on a petrol.

A good site to look at:

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/

specifically,
    http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/glowplugs.htm
    Last edited by cataclysm; 13 December 2007, 13:39.

Comment

Remove air filter lid / manifold earth strip is a 13mm I think
      use a deep 13mm socket and a set of long needle nose pliers to help extract the old glow plug from the cylinder.

Ignor this and go straight to second link in above post
      you type fast u a girl
      Brian

Comment

The original caps for the glow plugs are a brass threaded insert with a plastic cover. These break eventually so just replace with M4 flanged nuts. The glow plugs require a 12mm deep socket to remove and replace. Be gentle when removing the old ones especially if carbon buildup on the plug ends make them difficult to extract. Too rough with them and they can break off in the head.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
          The original caps for the glow plugs are a brass threaded insert with a plastic cover. These break eventually so just replace with M4 flanged nuts. The glow plugs require a 12mm deep socket to remove and replace. Be gentle when removing the old ones especially if carbon buildup on the plug ends make them difficult to extract. Too rough with them and they can break off in the head.

Nev

Cheers for that guys.

yup i know what i'm looking at now.

That link to the aus site if brilliant cheers for that
          Tequilla - breakfast of heros.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie
            you type fast u a girl
            Nope, worse... a geek!

Comment

Working...
            X