Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Woodzie
    Had a wiggle ....looks like a HDD fault
    Beep on startup means the BIOS failed it's P.O.S.T. (Power-on self test).
    Normally goes in this order:
    - Voltage check
    - Critical fans
    - PCI Bus
    - Graphics card (to fix, remove & replace)
    - RAM
    - CPU Wake (incl North Bridge)
    - South Bridge
    - HDD / CDROM / Floppy.

Check in that order. If nothing, you've probably got a fried component somewhere and will need to take it to an expert.

Comment

Only the bleep ,fans are spinning every thing else blank and no boot up
      All you need for a boot up is, Memory, Vid card, and CPU.

It's very rare for it to be the CPU, I would still go for memory or Vid card reseating first, remove and refit.
      I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by cataclysm
        Beep on startup means the BIOS failed it's P.O.S.T. (Power-on self test).
        Normally goes in this order:
        - Voltage check
        - Critical fans
        - PCI Bus
        - Graphics card (to fix, remove & replace)
        - RAM
        - CPU Wake (incl North Bridge)
        - South Bridge
        - HDD / CDROM / Floppy.

Check in that order. If nothing, you've probably got a fried component somewhere and will need to take it to an expert.

Right it dead ..........it can wait till after xmas for repair
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Right it dead ..........it can wait till after xmas for repair
          Whatever it is I can fix it for parts costs only and that's only if I don't have the spare bit's in more "come in handy box" which if I do have you can have them FOC.

Only problem will be if its a Dell, Compaq etc with a unique PSU, motherboard or case, then it could end up costing more than it's worth in parts.

Any details on make and model?
          I Love Wales

Comment

yu can often find the wire codes online so you can chop and join a normal PSU in there.
            Originally posted by 24Seven
            Whatever it is I can fix it for parts costs only and that's only if I don't have the spare bit's in more "come in handy box" which if I do have you can have them FOC.

Only problem will be if its a Dell, Compaq etc with a unique PSU, motherboard or case, then it could end up costing more than it's worth in parts.

Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

It's a advent W0922..........we are in no rush as it was due to be packed away for xmas and we need the space .....will look into it next year .

They will have to use the main household one
              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

It's a advent W0922..........we are in no rush as it was due to be packed away for xmas and we need the space .....will look into it next year .

They will have to use the main household one
                If you want an opinion / fix, pass it on through Mark and I will have a look

I cannot find any info on an Advent W0922 btw
                I Love Wales

Comment

If you want an opinion / fix, pass it on through Mark and I will have a look

I cannot find any info on an Advent W0922 btw
                  I would imagine that it's a generic PC inside - time to raid the parts bin
                  Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                    I would imagine that it's a generic PC inside - time to raid the parts bin
                    As long as it's a generic PC we should be laughing
                    I Love Wales

Comment

I've still got a couple of pentium 2s in the loft if you need to canibalize for parts, just give me a shout when woodzie lets you give it the once-over.
                      Alan
                      www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tintin
                        I've still got a couple of pentium 2s in the loft if you need to canibalize for parts, just give me a shout when woodzie lets you give it the once-over.
                        Alan
                        Cool

I'm sure between us all, we can fix it for next to nothing (hopefully)
                        I Love Wales

Comment

Try switching a hdd over from another pc, if that starts to work it's the hdd i lost a 200 gig hdd not so long ago and tried it in other units and wont power up and a alarm starts beeping, but the fans run etc...

Comment

Check the HDD to see who it's made by. If it's someone like Maxtor then unless it's more than 5 years old it's probably still under guarantee. If it has gone you could probably return it for a replacement. Did this when the 200Gb Maxtor drive in my computer went earlier in the year and got a 250Gb brand new one as a free replacement. Only problem is that if it is dead then you will have lost the data on it unless you have back-ups.
                            Mike G

Comment

Working...
                            X