catch cans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catch cans?

has anyone fitted one with success, and how many miles have you bin running with it?
    does anyone think your just delaying the inevitable by fitting one, ie its just a short term fix for a worn engine?

had one fitted but removed it because i was going in deep water[ mine had little filter on top]it stops oil going down breather tube to turbo
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

got a home made one on mine and it deffo works as it dont seal properly on the bottom so the oil leaks down the engine!
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

An odd one this.

I've been told by a couple of diesel mechanics that the small feed of oil from the rocker through the intake is 'very' necessary to help lubricate an extremely high speed rotation - yup, the turbo compressor.

If it was not needed, why would it be there in the first place?

I know the arguments for, if you have excessive blow by, sort that out. A catch can is not the solution to the problem.

My tuppence worth!
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

My tuppence worth..........

The rocker, or valve cover on the 2.4 (dunno about the 3.0) hasn't got a splash guard (deflector) fitted inside to stop the oil thats being flung around by the camshaft, from spewing out through the breather tube. The breather is mainly for oil vapour that condenses in the intake tubes to lubricate as TLB said.

Comment

Oi Vince, GO TO BED!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
              Oi Vince, GO TO BED!

I can't, got Craig here with me, heard him on the baby monitor making pre-wailing noises.

Comment

Hi craig!

So, what ze hell is a catch can?!

Its so quiet tonight, Im completly bored an cant sleep....

So i may aswell learn more stuff

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  I can't, got Craig here with me, heard him on the baby monitor making pre-wailing noises.
                  Yeah , as Rod said - Hi Craig And hows Mam?

Anyway g'nite all - a Friday and 3 glasses of wine - a record indeed!

Comment

Nu'night mate!

I was on driving dutys tonight so no booze! not that i drink very often anyway...

Comment

I've been told by a couple of diesel mechanics that the small feed of oil from the rocker through the intake is 'very' necessary to help lubricate an extremely high speed rotation - yup, the turbo compressor.
                      What a load of absolute bullsh!t. The turbo impeller requires no lubrication and the shaft has a non contact bearing that has pressure fed oil from the engine.

The rocker, or valve cover on the 2.4 (dunno about the 3.0) hasn't got a splash guard (deflector) fitted inside to stop the oil thats being flung around by the camshaft, from spewing out through the breather tube.
                      They should and do have one.

The breather is mainly for oil vapour that condenses in the intake tubes to lubricate as TLB said.
                      Rubbish! The breather is to prevent crankcase pressure which would otherwise blow out seals.

Nev

Comment

Comment

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                            What a load of absolute bullsh!t. The turbo impeller requires no lubrication and the shaft has a non contact bearing that has pressure fed oil from the engine.

They should and do have one.

Rubbish! The breather is to prevent crankcase pressure which would otherwise blow out seals.

Nev

Dont beat about the bush Nev! say wot ya mean
                            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

That'll be why you're up early then?

I got up early cos of the 'beer fidgets'. Been for a walk, been the butchers for brekkie, now smelling the smells of a perfect full english on the way to steady my wobbly guts!

(Nag's at 6pm, curry house at 8, Red Lion at 9:30, Great Malvern for last orders)
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X