Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfless newbie

Morning all

I'm thinking of getting a surf. At the moment we have an old Audi A4 saloon which is a brilliant car but we need a bit more room for the dog, camping stuff, fishing gear and to pull a caravan later in the Year.
    The plan is to get an old bike to do most of my commute on to keep the miles doen on the car but I need any car to be fairly reliable.

I did some reading on here a week or so ago of a thread where the poster was claiming his discovery was more reliable than his surf. Sine then I've been reading lots on the web about disco's but it seems to me they're pretty prone to breakdowns and probably too much of a liability as I'm used to the Audi's that never miss a beat.

So, are surfs generally reliable, I assume that being Toyota's they can't be too bad?

Also, as I've never even poked my nose in a surf, are they reasonably comfortable over long distances?

And, finally I promise , are the rear seats split and if so can you fit a complete pushbike in the back with one seat folded down?

At the end of the day, we really don't need the offroad potential that the surf seems to offer although I did use to do some Greenlaning in an old series 3 Landy a few years back. I gues the main thing we need is some road manners and a bit of room for lugging stuff about. I also do a fair bit of fishing which involves driving through farmland (nothing strenous) but a saloon car can't do it in the Winter and enough room to stuuf pushbikes in without taking wheels off etc.

So, is the surf going to suit us (they look very cool at least!) ?

Thanks in advance of any replies,

Cheers,

Chris
    Signature stolen along with Surf...

NOOO!! Don't buy a disco get a surf, unless you like sitting in garage waiting rooms. They're a reliable beast and capable off road. The rear seats split 50/50 and I've managed to fit a two seater sofa in the back of mine, so plenty of room in there. The seats are very comfy, I've used mine on some long runs and it's been great. If you wanna be extra comfy look for a surf with recaro seats.
    Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

I am not a confident driver but love driving our surf, the only trouble we have had with ours was solved by replacing the batteries, it starts fine, the seats do split at the back but as for fitting a bike in, i have never tried! i think your best bet would be to find someone local who has one, and ask if you can have a look! They are comfy for long distance too!
      As far as reliability goes, we have not had anything more than as mentioned before (and what has been done by off roading) as with any make of car, it depends on the previous owner and how they have looked after it!
      The people on here are great if you do have any trouble! If you do get one, you could join us on the off roading trips that are held, we have just come back from cornwall, a 4 hour drive and it was a great weekend!
      I hope this helps!
      Anna
      GO TEAM SLEDGE

Comment

Thanks for that, that's good to know

Don't worry, I'm not going to get a disco although thats not clear in my post now I've read it back !
        Much as I love the idea of one I think I'd get too irritated with breakdowns. Shame though, I have the chance of a straight swap for my car with a friends disco but I'm going to sell the car instead and then, hopefully, get a surf

Cheers,

Chris

Edit: posted the same time as you, Anna. Thanks for that, a bit more assurance then
        I think I would have to venture offroad a bit, just nothing too taxing as it would be a family car first and foremost (mind you I said that about the series 3 and that went offroad more than my mountain bike lol )
        Last edited by corsetts; 4 December 2007, 10:53.

Comment

Bikes fit, some motorbikes fit!! Get a 3.0 ltr, it will save all the faff of thinking about trading up in a couple of years! have fun!
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Cool, thank you

I'm pretty much set on a 3.0ltr (less prone to head failure and virtually the same economy as the 2.4, right?) I just need to sell the car then.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by corsetts
              Thanks for that, that's good to know

Don't worry, I'm not going to get a disco although thats not clear in my post now I've read it back !
              Much as I love the idea of one I think I'd get too irritated with breakdowns. Shame though, I have the chance of a straight swap for my car with a friends disco but I'm going to sell the car instead and then, hopefully, get a surf

Cheers,

Chris

Edit: posted the same time as you, Anna. Thanks for that, a bit more assurance then
              I think I would have to venture offroad a bit, just nothing too taxing as it would be a family car first and foremost (mind you I said that about the series 3 and that went offroad more than my mountain bike lol )
              We have 5 kids and they all love off roading (they don't have a choice about that most of the time! lol!) Even the 8 month old baby who has been nick named Surfette goes with us! All kids are welcome!
              I'm looking at selling our people carrier and getting a 3l myself!
              GO TEAM SLEDGE

Comment

Originally posted by corsetts
                Cool, thank you

I'm pretty much set on a 3.0ltr (less prone to head failure and virtually the same economy as the 2.4, right?) I just need to sell the car then.

Cheers,

Chris
                The 3ltr is pretty much the same econmy as the 2.4. If you're technically minded this http://www.hiluxsurf.eu/faq_general.htm#tech gives an overview of the surf engine specs. Helpful tip as well, get a burgundy one as they're the best.
                :sits back and waits for anti-burgundy comments
                Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Thanks for the link, very interesting reading

Well its definately gonna be a 3.0ltr then.

Helpful tip as well, get a burgundy one as they're the best
                  I've read a lot about the "colour wars" personally I quite like the dark Blue ones but I don't think we'll have a choice of colour, it'll be whichever vehicles the best for the money (Burgundy then? )

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Sounds like you've done your research, so I won't add much.

But definatly get a burgundy one, i'm on my second, and they're definatly the fastest.

what's your budget?

don't spend more than £3000 on a 2nd gen unless its a minter with history(far more important ythan mileage). There are great examples out there at good prices, just spend time looking, and grab a local forum member to look over them if you're not confident.

martin

martin
                    Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

They are a very capable towing vehicle, I've tow 1550kg of 6 birth caravan quite easily, not the fastest but rock solid.

I've also had another surf on a trailer on tow, TonyN does lots of towing with his.

I don't find any problem with comfort, done Halifax to inverness & Halifax to Exeter without any problems.

They are a tad thirsty, I averaged about 18 - 20 mpg with the caravan on the back (to inverness!)
                      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

..... Oh and get a burgandy one
                        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Oh, did i forget to mention that our surf is burgundy too????????
                          GO TEAM SLEDGE

Comment

Ther's a bugrundy one on my drive at the moment. I don't mind, cos it makes my grey one look good
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                              Ther's a bugrundy one on my drive at the moment. I don't mind, cos it makes my grey one look good
                              must be difficult charlie...............to remember to go to the right shed!!
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X