• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procomp steering damper update

you may have seen this...

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39486

Well, it was worth it!

I've just been for a play on my offroad site, and areas where the steering wheel would be pulled one way or the other with the old OEM damper fitted, the truck just tracked nice and straight with less pull from the wheel.

Areas where the wheel would be spun mercilessly, breaking any bit of your anatomy in contact, are now manageable with but a light grip on the wheel!

On the road, the steering has a bit more weight, and the truck isn't jiggled about by potholes.

In all, well worth the pain yesterday!

Slugsie, it's an easy job, it's just the weather, missing tools, and two missing nuts thwarted me.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Originally posted by Apache
    Slugsie, it's an easy job, it's just the weather, missing tools, and two missing nuts thwarted me.
    Excellent. I've been suffering with very light steering that seems to wander around a lot. I've had the tracking done (which cost me an arm and a leg as I had to replace all the bits, plus have the garage fit them as they were all seized solid), so I reckon it's down to the damper being at the end of it's useful life.

How much was the damper, and what tools were needed?
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

I took my procomp damper off, after it rubbed on one the rubber ball-joint gaitors on the track rod end just below it, and made a hole in the gaitor..
      I have cranked-up torsion bars by 1", so think that was why the two touched
      I couldnt see any way to fit it, without the two coming into contact,
      other solutiuon would have been to lower the front end again

Guess the BJ spacers may avert this problem Apache?

anyone else who has a cranked up torsion bars and a procomp damper notice this?
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

i have bj spacers,and yes this seems to be away around the rubbing issue.
        i am getting a steering damper as having the torsion bars not cranked ,whilst giving you better articulation, does make the steering wander a bit.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
          i have bj spacers,and yes this seems to be away around the rubbing issue.
          i am getting a steering damper as having the torsion bars not cranked ,whilst giving you better articulation, does make the steering wander a bit.

Wandering (Tramlining) could be the tyres Graham, especially when driving along the white lines in the road.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Wandering (Tramlining) could be the tyres Graham, especially when driving along the white lines in the road.
            it definitely wanders vince.i never tweaked the torsion bars at all,and it does wallow at the front quite a lot,under hard braking it really nosedive.coupled with no front or rear arb it does make for the occasionally "interesting" ride !

but !!

it does perform really well off road,mainly because i can traverse really uneven terrain and keep all 4 wheels on the ground
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

No rubbing for me. I noticed it could be a problem if you fitted the u-bolts horizontally, but it is possible to just rotate them maybe 20 degrees so the damper mount at that end sits slightly lower. It just clears and obstruction like that.

I didn't have a chance to fit the BJ spacers yet. Probably do that next weekend.

Having driven home tonight from work, I can only repeat what a difference its made! Steering is 'firmer' and more positive, and the potholes no longer affect the truck. Brilliant!

Comment

interesting, i will take a look at the ubolts sometime and see how moving them around helps
                as I left the mounting plate & bolts on the vehicle 0- when i put the stock damper back on, as it was such a bu%%er to line up those holes on the crossmemeber
                so wouldnt take as long to refit the procomp damper
                Landcruiser Colorado
                Sub. Forester

Comment

bottom line,

do you reccomend the purchase of said damper?
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
                    it was such a bu%%er to line up those holes on the crossmemeber
                    Isn't it just!

I used my whole library of expletives, and invented a few more!

GWH, can you tell I think the damper is good?

Comment

Working...
                    X