The egr Valve Pros n cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The egr Valve Pros n cons

I have seen on a few of the threads etc showing people blocking off the egr valve.(exhaust gas recircling valve)

Whats the benefits of bloking the egr?

What are the benefits to your engine the egr provides?

If it aint a benefit to the motor why do Toyota fit them?

Deep in thought
    Matthew
    Harden the Fuk Up Princess

AFAIK it this..

Originally posted by hilux2.8
    I have seen on a few of the threads etc showing people blocking off the egr valve.(exhaust gas recircling valve)

Whats the benefits of bloking the egr?
    1. Less black smoke
    2. A few more hp's
    3. A little better mpg

What are the benefits to your engine the egr provides?
    4. To meet emission targets

If it aint a benefit to the motor why do Toyota fit them?
    5. See 4

Deep in thought
    Matthew
    Wax on, wax off

Comment

I would add to the benefits of blocking it off, Less crud (carbon particles) being passed back through the system.

The theory behind the EGR is to reduce the oxides of nitrogen (nox). It does this by reducing the temprature of the combustion, by poisoning the charge it does not burn as well.

Nox is not checked as part of the british MOT only smoke so the smoke level reading should be lower
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

The egr should be blocked of on an engine that runs it it was an emissions mod plain and simple and soots up a derv engine even worse than a petrol.

Some would also argue it adds to head problems as it gives uneven temp across the head
        Brian

Comment

All this talk of EGRs brings me to 2 questions that have been bugging me (a little):

1. Do I have one on mine, should I be cable tying it and where is it?

2. Totally unrelated, but I was putting some fuel in the other day and saw the number 100 written in amongst a load of japanese. Does this mean I need 100 ron superfuel? The engine does run a bit rough and pinks if you give it a bit of stick. I put 97 in there the other day by accident and it did seem to improvethings.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
            All this talk of EGRs brings me to 2 questions that have been bugging me (a little):

1. Do I have one on mine, should I be cable tying it and where is it?

2. Totally unrelated, but I was putting some fuel in the other day and saw the number 100 written in amongst a load of japanese. Does this mean I need 100 ron superfuel? The engine does run a bit rough and pinks if you give it a bit of stick. I put 97 in there the other day by accident and it did seem to improvethings.
            Aye super unleaded can improve things alot on some cars, it costs more but i think it lasts longer mileage wise and obviously better for your lump.

However i have had cars that just dont make any difference. If it runs better its a good idea, more power and mpg's, longer engine life. If not, bargain basement tesco fuel.
            Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Working...
            X