What a miserable lot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

Following on from yesterdays post after running at idle, i went for a short drive today and it's not good.
    Originally posted by nero279
    The clatter remains untraced, but has gone, power steering belt is loose, so will be tensioned later on.
    My clatter is back, still not sure what it is, how do i eliminate turbo? What would be the tell tale signs of the turbo going? Obviously the clatter/rattle/bag of nails sound, but how loud would this be? The clatter i have does sound to me like a bag of nails but it's fairly quiet, from what i've read on other posts I expected it to be a much louder noise than i have got.

The smoke i think is down to a knackered injector, some of you will recall i had problems which were put down to injectors before, so i knew they were on the list to need looking at anyway. The reason i'm thinking this is 2 fold:

1 - the smoke is black, indicating rich fuel mix rather than blue which would indicate oil being burned. (someone please correct me if i'm wrong/misguided). The smoke clears after the initial rev, it isn't really noticable at idle it's just when you first rev the engine after it's been at idle for a second or two.

2 - the noise has changed to a regular and definate click (rather than a rattle) which comes and goes at idle, but is not really noticable whilst driving.

Still the same

Any thoughts on the above?
    I also have brake problems - i have a s$$$$ing / grinding noise when braking which i think i can put down to rear shoes. But i also have a pedal that doesn't 'feel' right, it's spongy but has been a bit spongy for a while, the brakes are supposed to have been bled about 4 months ago, but i don't think the fluid was replaced so i put it down to old fluid. The level has got low (a couple of mm below the min mark on reservoir) and been topped up a couple of times in the last few months, most recently last week. The braking efficiency is poor, but it also seems inconsistent, so i'm thinking i may either have problems with one or more cylinders, where are the brake cylinders? and i guess i'm just looking for signs of leakage? or servo problems, what are the most likely servo problems and how would i go about checking or diagnosing them? The brake warning light comes on after a lot less brake use than what it did before, ie) in the time it takes you to stop from 40MPH ish the brake warning light on the dash would be at least thinking about coming on if it wasn't already on.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

I had this rattle/clatter at idle. The culprit was a bracket that had snapped on the air filter, took the bracket off, cured the rattle.

Just a thought

Comment

I had a rattle under the bonnet, I removed the 2.4 diesel engine and fitted a 4.0l Lexus V8, rattle gone now!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          I had a rattle under the bonnet, I removed the 2.4 diesel engine and fitted a 4.0l Lexus V8, rattle gone now!
          Pure Class
          Brian

Comment

If it turns out that it is indeed the turbo i'll have two choices

1) lay the old girl up for a month or two whilst a donor v8 is sourced and borrow my mates 205 whilst he's off on basic training.

2) source a 2nd hand turbo and risk it happening again 6 months down the line (i found new turbos but at near on £1200 quid a pop - i don't think so)
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

1) lay the old girl up for a month or two whilst a donor v8 is sourced and borrow my mates 205 whilst he's off on basic training.

2) source a 2nd hand turbo and risk it happening again 6 months down the line (i found new turbos but at near on £1200 quid a pop - i don't think so)

V8

Comment

sorry if its been said already but have you checked the bottom pulley.
                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper
                  sorry if its been said already but have you checked the bottom pulley.
                  as it happens... no.

Did a days work today so haven't done much further investigating today, but i'll be back on it tomorrow. Will check that, Thanks John
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

as it happens... no.

Did a days work today so haven't done much further investigating today, but i'll be back on it tomorrow. Will check that, Thanks John
                    when mine went on my 2.4, i could see it moving in and out from the engine as i picked the revs up from idle. £110 from toyota and a couple of hours work and lots of swearing..................
                    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                    X