40% Veggie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40% Veggie

I've put 40% veggie oil in my surf today, is that too much for this time of year?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Originally posted by andy62
    I've put 40% veggie oil in my surf today, is that too much for this time of year?
    Still running mine on 50/50 (and still waiting to get the heaters I'm after for 100%).

But that's in south Devon.

Comment

I'm running 50/50 too, bit fluffy on start up but ok after, still to do the white spirits addition tho, (plus some essencial oils to take the stink away)
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by cataclysm
        Still running mine on 50/50 (and still waiting to get the heaters I'm after for 100%).

But that's in south Devon.
        What heaters are you after? the tape type?

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE
          What heaters are you after? the tape type?
          Narp, going for ceramic (PTC) heaters, as they are nicely self-regulating; once the coolant-exchange gets going (and installed -- but that's another story), they gradually use less and less current, but keep bringing the fuel to the same temperature.

Comment

Narp, going for ceramic (PTC) heaters, as they are nicely self-regulating; once the coolant-exchange gets going (and installed -- but that's another story), they gradually use less and less current, but keep bringing the fuel to the same temperature.
            Right! dont know about them, have you any info/pic of em, i'm halfway through sorting out the heating(water) thought about doing the small swirl tank thing so it's got a ready warm ammount to get going on, but for the moment it'll have warm up on deisel,

Comment

Right! dont know about them, have you any info/pic of em, i'm halfway through sorting out the heating(water) thought about doing the small swirl tank thing so it's got a ready warm ammount to get going on, but for the moment it'll have warm up on deisel,
              I've been ripping them out of "Ceramic In-Car Heaters" like this :http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...8775&doy=27m11

Gonna use one (double element) to heat the fuel before the filter, then one each on the injector lines. They dissipate about 50W per element, and are about 80% efficient.

Comment

I've been ripping them out of "Ceramic In-Car Heaters" like this :http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...8775&doy=27m11

Gonna use one (double element) to heat the fuel before the filter, then one each on the injector lines. They dissipate about 50W per element, and are about 80% efficient.
                Cheer's, thats a good idea, i made this exchanger to go just before the engine
                (via the 6 port valve) it's hot after about ten minuits of running but those heaters will dam near give you immeadiat start up on veg
                Attached Files

Comment

That's a sweet setup.
                  I was going to do an 8mm pipe (fuel) wrap around a 15/22mm pipe (water) and solder the pair together.
                  My designs are limited to what I can manage on the driveway... no garage!

Comment

This is hippo's heater - if you get one tell them you want the 10mm pipes.

There is at least one more member here with the same heater.

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

This is my progress so far, i did a couple of 8mm copper coils but as i had a job to blow through em i decieded to re do em in 15mm, i still have an 8mm round the svo filter tho, it's mainly to help prevent line looseing heat it's already picked up from the fuel tank, it's then bumped up in temp by the exchanger, once the motors up to temp everthing should be fine, but as you say it's the first minuits that are the problem

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36706

Comment

Nice. Looks like I'm in good company here!

Comment

i used it pure with no problems at all
                          ran a xanta for mounths on it and i tryed the surf on pure its all right but a bit lumpy on a cold morning
                          i am ready for a new mix to run it on veg oil again
                          am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK
                            i used it pure with no problems at all
                            ran a xanta for mounths on it and i tryed the surf on pure its all right but a bit lumpy on a cold morning
                            i am ready for a new mix to run it on veg oil again
                            Same here with 50/50, the lang shanet-scunner's been trying white spirit in the mix and reccons it works well

Comment

Same here with 50/50, the lang shanet-scunner's been trying white spirit in the mix and reccons it works well
                              Update on that, i have switched to unleaded now cos the power difference is much better, i have a conversion for 100% but this time of year in order to switch early 10% unleaded helps.

Popeye is now the master craftsman (sorry Craftsperson) on veg systems, but if you want a quick easy basic one unit solution, then the vow2-DW works well, it has electric heating and then when water is warm switches off and lets coolant do the work.

Youll find it here:

http://www.vow2.co.uk/ordering.htm

7th one down
                              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Working...
                              X