to the network people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as a follow up,
    since we are still getting problems, and the woman was really fit (daughter of howard from howards way) i decided to try something,
    i removed the network card from device manager, restarted, let it install, restarted again, and it is 10x faster doing anything compared to what it was before..

may be the network screwing up the drivers??
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
      may be the network screwing up the drivers??
      The OS can screw up the drivers, not the network.

I thought you said you had tried from multiple machines, and that the pst file belonged to a bloke?

Comment

sounds like the drivers screwed....what speed of network you on and what speed of the network card in the pc......if connected through switches you could have had half-duplex instead of full-duplex (eg 100MB) which slows transfer speeds.

What protocols are running...

I would certainly look to inform people of cleaning up their email to minimise size of .pst files also.
        Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
          The OS can screw up the drivers, not the network.

I thought you said you had tried from multiple machines, and that the pst file belonged to a bloke?
          yes your right, that was another issue.

i tried from a fresh built machine even. but on one birds machine it was being propper slow, and when cable was unplugged there was nothing wrong, and it sped back up. so i re-installed the nic and it seemed to fix it. although the outlook problem cabe back because of the general problem here.

people say they need all the emails lol

basically now, one of the exchange servers cr@pped out, so we moved on to the DR one, and guess what! thats gone down too

they must all use cat6 cable here because windows states the connection speed is 1.0Gb.. dont think this is poss with 5e..

ive been getting here at 8:15 and leaving at about 7:30.. im knackered
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

got me stumped for now....have you had a look on microsoft technet knowledgebase

www.microsoft.com/technet
            http://support.microsoft.com/default...&ln=en-us&fr=0 can enter your criteria on this searchable database
            Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
              got me stumped for now....have you had a look on microsoft technet knowledgebase

www.microsoft.com/technet
              http://support.microsoft.com/default...&ln=en-us&fr=0 can enter your criteria on this searchable database
              i havnt done that. i wouldnt know what to put in i dont think!

ive heard them say the SAN went down as well! seems to be getting better though :/

mental.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

dont know if any of these will help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830307/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019/ pst on WAN/lAN link
                Gaz

Comment

lol
                  thanks but trust me, its so bad, even when your trying to navigate through explorer, or opening word or something it locks up.. and you cant do anything (on some machines) and the only way to fix it is, either wait 10mins, or pull out the network cable.

soon as the cable is pulled, anything you have tried to do, or click on all happens within 1/4 of a second.

its not a pst issue. only some people have pst's. and i know if its that or not.
                  other problems are these:

you cannot see ANY emails in your inbox, even though people have like 2000 new items shown in the left payne. OWA also just says loading all the time. you can see the new emails when you sort the view by 'from' and not 'date'. if you do see something there under 'date' view then it is just a whole list of 'no item to view'
                  if you turn cached mode back on, then your last message recieved are from days ago, but all the sub folders under inbox work fine.
                  upgrading the service pack makes no difference. creating the users profile on another machine makes no difference. owa is useless as well.

work that out! lol
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Try disabling the AV scanner.

Comment

have you...ahem...tried turning it all off,and then back on again

i'll just go now
                      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                        Try disabling the AV scanner.
                        av scanner? you mean anti virus?

you know thats one thing i have not tried... dont know how i overlooked that.. didnt cross my mind.. i will try this tomorrow

earlier on in this post, i said how i re-installed the drivers for the nic, and it helped a few times. but not everytime... so may be that was a co-incidence.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                          have you...ahem...tried turning it all off,and then back on again

i'll just go now

i dunno why people laugh at this,.. it fixes a whole variety of problems..
                          just like how i got laughed at, at my new job when i suggested using the IE fix on an office/word issue... tis why i hate gays, they are just like women but with a little bit of bloke mixed in..
                          iefix fixes all sorts of issues
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

another thought: if your running Active Directory which I assume you are, I have just witnessed an issue with a machine running slow logging on etc...and had to run the command from the command prompt

gpudate /force /wait:1

to reforce the machine to have all user and pc account group policies forced onto the individual machine once again. May not resolve the SAN / PST issue but if the machine is at fault within logging on and authentication...just maybe

taken from the link about regarding pst over LAN/WAN
                            SUMMARY

This article tells you why personal folder files (.pst files) are unsupported over a local area network (LAN) or wide area network (WAN) link. The .pst files are not meant to be a long-term, continuous-use method of storing messages in an enterprise environment.

The article also suggests two alternatives to .pst files. You can use .ost files or Microsoft Windows Terminal Services.

MORE INFORMATION

The Microsoft Exchange Server 4.0 team created .pst files with the intent of letting a person maintain a copy of their messages on their local computer. The .pst files also serve the purpose of a message store for users who do not have access to a Microsoft Exchange Server computer (for example, Microsoft Outlook Internet Mail Only (IMO) mode users).

However, .pst files are not meant to be an enterprise network solution. Although it is possible to specify a network directory or a Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path as a storage location for a .pst file, network usage is not meant to be a long-term, continuous-use method of storing messages in an enterprise environment.

A .pst file is a file-access-driven method of message storage. File-access-driven means that the computer uses special file access commands that the operating system provides to read and write data to the file.

This is not efficient on WAN or LAN links because WAN/LAN links use network-access-driven methods, commands the operating system provides to send data to or receive from another networked computer. If there is a remote .pst (over a network link), Microsoft Outlook tries to use the file commands to read from the file or write to the file, but the operating system then has to send those commands over the network because the file is not on the local computer. This creates a great deal of overhead and increases the time it takes to read and write to the file. Additionally, the use a .pst file over a network connection may result in a corrupted .pst file if the connection degrades or fails.

For more information about issues that you may experience with the network storage devices or with servers that house shares, visit the following Web site: http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/01/21/network-stored-pst-files-don-t-do-it.aspx (http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/arc...n-t-do-it.aspx)
                            Other Behaviors of .pst Files over WAN/LAN Links •All operations take longer.•Write operations can take approximately four times longer than read operations.•Outlook has slower performance than the Exchange Client.For the reasons mentioned above, Offline Folders (.ost) files and personal address book (.pab) files on a network share that are accessed remotely are also unsupported configurations.

If there are roaming users in the organization, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2003/three/ch8/OutC03.htm (http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/...ch8/OutC03.htm)

Recommendations

Microsoft recommends the following solutions, instead of .pst files over a LAN or WAN. Exchange Server with .ost File

When you are working over a WAN or LAN, it is better to use the offline folder files (.ost files) to allow the remote client to work without being connected to the server. .ost files support local replication, which means that all folders and their data can be replicated to the .ost, not just e-mail messages, as is the case when you use remote mail. The use of .ost files is therefore more efficient and more useful. .ost files also do not have a dependency on the availability of the Exchange Server computer (except to synchronize new data from the server to the client and vice versa), because the information is cached in the local .ost file. This improves performance because the information being viewed is stored on the local drive while the master copy of the data remains on the server, where it can be accessed and backed up. .ost files also provide data redundancy, which ensures greater integrity and recoverability of the data. Microsoft Terminal Services

If an enterprise wants to use Outlook over WAN or LAN links, it is highly efficient to run the Microsoft Windows Terminal Server service. With Terminal Services, only enough information required to update a display is transferred. The potential benefits in having many remote users based on Terminal Services, instead of using either .pst files or .ost files, would be significant in any network bandwidth conservation analysis.
                            Last edited by Gizmo; 30 November 2007, 14:25.
                            Gaz

Comment

First thing is to check out the network.
                              If it really is that slow, any initial synchronisation between any of the clients and any of the servers will fail (O/S or email), or just time out.

If the network is indicating 1GB... and you've got cat5e cabling... you are at or just over the limit... I presume its a small office... as its a hedge fund... but no shortage of cash (all pretty new kit)... get onto the consoles of the servers and make sure that they are in fact 1Gb nics with the latest o/s supported drivers on them.

I would hope that on the backend (server to server) there are no issues with the network? Make sure that the switches (I hope they are managed) are all set at the maximum rate of the servers and client nic drivers, but all set to Fixed Speed and Duplex. Then double check that all the server nics are Auto Duplex and can reach their max speed. The servers should reach the max speed of the switches. Next set the clients to Auto Duplex and Speed.

A quick test is to get hold of the TCP Optimizer on www.speedguide.net and run that on a client and see what the max TCP stack settings are... then try a few 'sample' machines to see if manipulating the IP stack works... MTU, PMTU, TCPMaxDataRetransmissions, etc...

Once you've got that working... then you can archive off the users mail accounts to their local machines, with an auto sync to their home drives. Archive off a month at a time. Then set the archive to run on a monthly basis. The mail with the OST's will always show on the client. Point their client to their local 'My documents' and sync that with their home drive which will be backed up... (alternate here is Packeteer Mobiliti... very cool.)

If all else fails, get hold of Ethereal Wireshark and download a few copies and see what is really going on with the clients and servers...

Comment

Working...
                              X