Calling all nerds.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MudSurfer
    Does anyone know who makes motherboards with 6 RAM slots that can hold PC3200 1GB sticks?

I use a music sampling application and it's RAM intensive and have an Asus board that is shagged, shows only 2.75GB when I have 4 1GB sticks installed....

So - can I buy a board that will fit my PC3200 RAM and that I can use all 6 sticks that I have?

TIA
    Wouldn't happen to be Reason would it?
    Powered by ????

Comment

Does anyone know who makes motherboards with 6 RAM slots that can hold PC3200 1GB sticks?

I use a music sampling application and it's RAM intensive and have an Asus board that is shagged, shows only 2.75GB when I have 4 1GB sticks installed....

So - can I buy a board that will fit my PC3200 RAM and that I can use all 6 sticks that I have?

TIA

you are only using 2.75gb because you have a 32-bit windows. getting a new mobo wont sort this problem you have.
      if you want more usable ram, then replace the graphics card with a cr@p one.. or get a system that is 64-bit compatable and run xp-64 bit.

do you want to know why? :P
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Sadly enough I was talking about this at the weekend... A chap I know was saying how he has a new work Pc, 10 gb ram and 4 22" widescreens... but he is a designer... at that point someone mentioned the 4 GB max thing...

Is there any way they can have a downloadable update to bypass that or is it never going to be fixable without a new OS??
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra
          Sadly enough I was talking about this at the weekend... A chap I know was saying how he has a new work Pc, 10 gb ram and 4 22" widescreens... but he is a designer... at that point someone mentioned the 4 GB max thing...

Is there any way they can have a downloadable update to bypass that or is it never going to be fixable without a new OS??
          It's a hard limit of a 32bit OS. With a 32bit address register the most you can reach is 4GB, and like I said that is for all memory, not just RAM. The only solution for a desktop is to upgrade to a 64bit OS.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

what slugsie said.

what happens is, there is enough memory addresses for 4gb.
            so of you have 4gb ram, and 512mb graphics card, and a decent sound card that also has ob board memory, and whatever else that uses memory you will start seeing less and less ram because these devices need memory addresses or else they wont work.

get a mac. you can have 16gb ram, and dual quad processors = 8 cores.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
              get a mac. you can have 16gb ram, and dual quad processors = 8 cores.
              Err, you can also do that with a PC. In fact MS has tested 64bit Vista with 128GB of RAM. They would have gone further, but there were no motherboards or memory chips capable of doing it.

Buying a Mac is like buying a Porsche Cayenne, good idea in theory, severely let down in practise.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

normal people who dont want hastle, and just want to use a pc, then go out should have macs.

people that know what they are doing, and need the flexibility should have pc's. they are the sort of people that expect the hastle from microsoft anyway
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

interesting review here for video editors which shows the mac to be overpriced and underpowered.
                  http://3xs.scan.co.uk/images/awards/...f?SystemID=654
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                    interesting review here for video editors which shows the mac to be overpriced and underpowered.
                    http://3xs.scan.co.uk/images/awards/...f?SystemID=654
                    well, £12,000 is a little over priced
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
                      Wouldn't happen to be Reason would it?
                      The app is called Samplitute - and I use it to make music in the seconds of spare time I have per month, and it chews RAM like nothing else I've seen....

I've had to put in a dual CPU (Quad Core) board a while back as CPU utilisation is through the roof when it converts the tracks to MP3, and when you play back what you have just made....

So - looks like I'll get a Vista u/g at the weekend........I can get it from work for nowt!
                      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

The app is called Samplitute - and I use it to make music in the seconds of spare time I have per month, and it chews RAM like nothing else I've seen....

I've had to put in a dual CPU (Quad Core) board a while back as CPU utilisation is through the roof when it converts the tracks to MP3, and when you play back what you have just made....

So - looks like I'll get a Vista u/g at the weekend........I can get it from work for nowt!
                        cool what cpu-s do you have?
                        is it an amd rig or an intel?

i suppose they are 64 bit compatable?

will your programs run with vista? is all your drivers compatable? i switched to vista and a few important things wernt supported at that time a few months ago. i went back to xp. shame really.

what ram do you have?
                        i have pc2100 which is 133mhz ddr1. ive clocked it to 220mhz which is ddr440 equivelant.
                        the thing is, there is ddr3 now which is capable of over 1000mhz speed.
                        if i was going to build a rig again, then it would be a q6600 intel quad core, on a very decent mobo with prolly 2gb ram overclocked.
                        i dont know much about intels ram controller, but AMDs are on-die. so this means the more sticks i have then the lower the overclock i will achieve.
                        AMDs just annoy me. i used to think they were the better processor, like how many think linux is the better O/S...
                        how wrong i was

p.s. i have a amd opteron, 939 socket dual core 2.0ghz processor for sale if anyone wants it.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

p.s. i have a amd opteron, 939 socket dual core 2.0ghz processor for sale if anyone wants it.
                          i still stick with AMD even though Intel are probably better chips for desktops. AMD kick the pants off Intel for servers though

oooh how much and do you have a MB for it?
                          Tim
                          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

i still stick with AMD even though Intel are probably better chips for desktops. AMD kick the pants off Intel for servers though

oooh how much and do you have a MB for it?
                            the chip im using is a server chip. the mobo im using is so good, i can copy data from one hd to another, run a stress test called prime, listen to mp3's and play unreal tournament online with no lag.. this was on the single core chip! i dont know how it does it! lol
                            last mother board was pants. dont buy ECS stuff.
                            ive got two 939 chips so when i get rid of this one, ill go back to sandiego single core on same mobo.. = foxconn NF4 SLi
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

the chip im using is a server chip. the mobo im using is so good, i can copy data from one hd to another, run a stress test called prime, listen to mp3's and play unreal tournament online with no lag.. this was on the single core chip! i dont know how it does it! lol
                              The processor itself is rarely the cause of any bottleneck. The HD is usually the main cause of bottlenecks. However, the OS itself is the most important factor. Running something like Windoze will always lead to a sh1te system.

Comment

Top man.

Comment

Working...
                                X