scottpx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottpx

Im having problems with my 3rd gen Surf brakewise.
    After it has been standing over night in the garage, when I start up in the morning I have to really rev the engine and then it releases all of a sudden.
    It feels like the rear brakes to me.When it has been on the road for about 10 minutes there seems to be no problem, but if I brake initially she snatchs very hard on the front brakes.
    By the way, on first starting , it is possible to reverse no problem but impossible to drive forward which makes me think it might be the leading shoe that is binding.
    Im looking at replacing both rear wheel brake cylinders and would appreciate any tips or advice which anybody may have.
    Scotty

Originally posted by scottpx
    After it has been standing over night in the garage, when I start up in the morning I have to really rev the engine and then it releases all of a sudden.
    It feels like the rear brakes to me.When it has been on the road for about 10 minutes there seems to be no problem, but if I brake initially she snatchs very hard on the front brakes.
    By the way, on first starting , it is possible to reverse no problem but impossible to drive forward which makes me think it might be the leading shoe that is binding.
    Im looking at replacing both rear wheel brake cylinders and would appreciate any tips or advice which anybody may have.
    Scotty
    If shoes and drums are scored you can wet and dry them down a bit, but sounds like cylinder seizure, and while your in there shoes aswell would be a good idea, thats just my opinion, more will follow
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Scotty

make sure you check the AFT if its auto
      mine was doing something close to what your is on a first start
      my ATF was low (but i remeber doing the brakes thinking it was that)
      or you might not be has mad has iam (iam probley wrong but worth a check)
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

I've come across this before, the old pick ups were buggers for it, and a few 3rd gens do it as well. (2nd gen has the cable going right through to the shoes so dosn't suffer from it)

If you have a look at the brake backplate, the handbrake cable is fixed to a lever that does through the back plate, this can corrode in its mount where it pivots, so when you release the handbrake after it been standing, the actual shoes are still jammed on.

Pull the rubber cover off the pivot (from the back) and give a good squirting with WD40, and work the lever to it feels free.

If both levers are free, then you can start looking at the wheel cylinders sticking or the shoes binding.

Scotty
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
        X