yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New joiner - Looking for advice on Hilux.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New joiner - Looking for advice on Hilux.

Hi - just registered on the Forum having been introduced to the 'World of HiLux' by my very good friend, MudSurfer. I am living in Dublin and looking for advice on importing a HiLux from the UK. Would appreciate any help with info on VRT, motor tax i.e. is it classed as private or commercial. Plus any advice on running on veg oil (Rapeseed etc) and if engine needs mod/converter?.

Morr - MudSurfer suggested you might be the best place to start.

Thanks in advance,

Pado.

Afternoon Paddy!

Welcome to the world of Surfs, Surf experts - and my limited knowledge!

Veg just pours straight in to the fuel, use it instead of diesel, but for a while you may want to keep it to 30/70%

Morr is your man for import info
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

welcome to the mad world of surfdom great people here except for that madsurfer ooppsss mudsurfer or was i right the first time

Comment

Welcome aboard Pado

Questions, questions....... Do you have a particular Hilux or Surf in mind in the UK? Otherwise if you're looking for a fresh Jap import you may be better off buying it here, as many of the Jap imports to the UK arrive via Dublin anyway, so it can be a cheaper route.

Regarding VRT, road tax etc, there are a number of routes to consider, you could go fully commercial, fully private, or go for a crew-cab for a blend of both. Note: crew-cab for taxation purposes is a vehicle with two rows of seats and a load carrying area of specified minimum size separated by a complete bulkhead, so in theory a Surf with a bulkhead behind the rear seats could qualify as a crew-cab and thus attract lower VRT and road tax.

Some further reading.....
        VRT Inquiry system https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT (does not show every exact model or combination, but useful nonetheless)
        Road tax rates https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/pdf/m...es_2004_en.pdf (rates unchanged since 2004, but an announcement by the Minister just today states that vehicles over 1600cc are in for a hefty hike! (hopefully won't affect commercials)
        Veg oil in your Surf, short answer is no mods needed, have a read of my prior ramblings on the subject on my Hilux Surf site at http://www.hiluxsurf.eu/veg-oil.htm

Any more questions or clarifications? Just ask
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

hi mate i have no usefull info at all but just get a black one ..
          john
          i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

Try here

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by johnd
              hi mate i have no usefull info at all but just get a black one ..
              john
              hello and welcome

perhaps you can give us some advice.as you know mudsurfer quite well,how do you stop his romantic advances.(he wants me for some reason)

Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                hello and welcome

perhaps you can give us some advice.as you know mudsurfer quite well,how do you stop his romantic advances.(he wants me for some reason)

Leave it!

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
                  Leave it!
                  stepping backwards.slowly towards the door
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Mud's organising a WAG's meet in Newtonabby as we speak
                    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                      stepping backwards.slowly towards the door
                      He's stopping at my place this weekend. Do I need a lock for my bedroom door, or am I not his type?
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I think you're quite safe. He's a ladies man for sure.. Ask him about his Dublin trip when he gets back home.

Comment

Options / buying in Ireland

Thanks Morr. Would appreciate talking to you on phone about Hilux. Can you send number to me on Paddyq27@hotmail.com if tha'ts ok. Txs, Pado.

Originally posted by Morr
                          Welcome aboard Pado

Questions, questions....... Do you have a particular Hilux or Surf in mind in the UK? Otherwise if you're looking for a fresh Jap import you may be better off buying it here, as many of the Jap imports to the UK arrive via Dublin anyway, so it can be a cheaper route.

Regarding VRT, road tax etc, there are a number of routes to consider, you could go fully commercial, fully private, or go for a crew-cab for a blend of both. Note: crew-cab for taxation purposes is a vehicle with two rows of seats and a load carrying area of specified minimum size separated by a complete bulkhead, so in theory a Surf with a bulkhead behind the rear seats could qualify as a crew-cab and thus attract lower VRT and road tax.

Some further reading.....
                          VRT Inquiry system https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT (does not show every exact model or combination, but useful nonetheless)
                          Road tax rates https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/pdf/m...es_2004_en.pdf (rates unchanged since 2004, but an announcement by the Minister just today states that vehicles over 1600cc are in for a hefty hike! (hopefully won't affect commercials)
                          Veg oil in your Surf, short answer is no mods needed, have a read of my prior ramblings on the subject on my Hilux Surf site at http://www.hiluxsurf.eu/veg-oil.htm

Any more questions or clarifications? Just ask

Comment

Just looked at these tax rates, and I'm glad I don't live in Ireland! €1,100 for a 3.0L for the year.............!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!

€827 for the 2.4L!

WOW!

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
                              Just looked at these tax rates, and I'm glad I don't live in Ireland! €1,100 for a 3.0L for the year.............!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!

€827 for the 2.4L!

WOW!
                              ..... That's why mine has been changed to commercial, removed the rear seats and now pay €253 per year. My prior two motors were Jags, at €1342 a year it just got too costly

Pado - You have mail
                              Maurice
                              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
                              X