Urea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urea

was looking up what AdBlue (additive put in modern trucks for emmissions) was made from...

"Aqueous Urea Solution 32.5%"...
    "it is a 32.5% solution of high-purity urea in demineralised water"

i know Urea is contained in human urine, but what else is it used for??

Urea is also employed as a stabilizer in nitrocellulose explosives

As a reactant in the NOx-reducing SNCR and SCR reactions in exhaust gases from combustion, for example from power plants and diesel engines.

As a component of fertilizer and animal feed, providing a relatively cheap source of fixed nitrogen to promote growth.

As a raw material for the manufacture of plastics specifically, urea-formaldehyde resin.

As a raw material for the manufacture of various glues (urea-formaldehyde or urea-melamine-formaldehyde). The latter is waterproof and is used for marine plywood.

As an alternative to rock salt in the deicing of roadways and runways. It does not promote metal corrosion to the extent that salt does.

As an additive ingredient in cigarettes, designed to enhance flavour.

Sometimes used as a browning agent in factory-produced pretzels.

As an ingredient in some hair conditioners, facial cleansers, bath oils and lotions.

It is also used as a reactant in some ready-to-use cold compresses for first-aid use, due to the endothermic reaction it creates when mixed with water.

Used, along with salts, as a cloud seeding agent to expedite the condensation of water in clouds, producing precipitation.

The ability of urea to form clathrates (also called host-guest complexes, inclusion compounds, and adducts) was used in the past to separate paraffins.

As a flame-proofing agent (commonly used in dry chemical fire extinguishers as Urea-potassium bicarbonate)

As an ingredient in many tooth whitening products.

Added to stainless steel alloys used in some Japanese knives to retain sharpness.

As a cream to soften the skin, especially cracked skin on the bottom of one's feet.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Originally posted by da SLUG man
    was looking up what AdBlue (additive put in modern trucks for emmissions) was made from...

"Aqueous Urea Solution 32.5%"...
    "it is a 32.5% solution of high-purity urea in demineralised water"

i know Urea is contained in human urine, but what else is it used for??

Urea is also employed as a stabilizer in nitrocellulose explosives

As a reactant in the NOx-reducing SNCR and SCR reactions in exhaust gases from combustion, for example from power plants and diesel engines.

As a component of fertilizer and animal feed, providing a relatively cheap source of fixed nitrogen to promote growth.

As a raw material for the manufacture of plastics specifically, urea-formaldehyde resin.

As a raw material for the manufacture of various glues (urea-formaldehyde or urea-melamine-formaldehyde). The latter is waterproof and is used for marine plywood.

As an alternative to rock salt in the deicing of roadways and runways. It does not promote metal corrosion to the extent that salt does.

As an additive ingredient in cigarettes, designed to enhance flavour.

Sometimes used as a browning agent in factory-produced pretzels.

As an ingredient in some hair conditioners, facial cleansers, bath oils and lotions.

It is also used as a reactant in some ready-to-use cold compresses for first-aid use, due to the endothermic reaction it creates when mixed with water.

Used, along with salts, as a cloud seeding agent to expedite the condensation of water in clouds, producing precipitation.

The ability of urea to form clathrates (also called host-guest complexes, inclusion compounds, and adducts) was used in the past to separate paraffins.

As a flame-proofing agent (commonly used in dry chemical fire extinguishers as Urea-potassium bicarbonate)

As an ingredient in many tooth whitening products.

Added to stainless steel alloys used in some Japanese knives to retain sharpness.

As a cream to soften the skin, especially cracked skin on the bottom of one's feet.
    WTF
    monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

oh er we just got a new 12t renault midlum that takes it,so we r gettin a tank at work for it!,they even say that if run without it it invalids warranty!

Comment

won't use much, i'm driving a merc that does 6.5 mpg (diesel)... the tank's 10 gallons and last a week.

supposed to get better mpg than EGR

Comment

Im impressed Matt all that money doing the ADR wasnt wasted....
          Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
            Im impressed Matt all that money doing the ADR wasnt wasted....
            don't mention that!!... never used it!!... what a waste!

Comment

what happens if you add it to a normal diesel engine, does it do any harm?

Comment

erm... water down the diesel??

it's injected into the exhaust like a catalytic converter type affair which absorbs the nitrogen and turns it into water (i think)... EGR is a different way of reducing emissions by re-cycling the exhaust and burning off the excess.

i've got 2 fuel tanks... 1 300l diesel and 1 50l AdBlue

Comment

Among other things, urea and ammonia are used to increase the nitrogen content and nutritive value of low protein roughages like straw. Untreated straw having a crude protein level of 2-4%, after treatment it goes up to 7-12%. It's used to keep condition on livestock mainly during the winter.

But I prefer the teeth whitener and the skin softener.

Jacqueline

Comment

We have been using the stuff for a few years in our trucks at work. It stinks and when it's dry it leaves a white crystal type crust.

I'm sure they use that to make gunpowder don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                      We have been using the stuff for a few years in our trucks at work. It stinks and when it's dry it leaves a white crystal type crust.

I'm sure they use that to make gunpowder don't they?
                      yeah, the old fashioned black powder stuff definately... pottassium nitrate (saltpeter)... think that's what the crystals are... add that to sulphur and charcoal... you got gunpowder.... you can make it from dried pi$$ too!!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                        yeah, the old fashioned black powder stuff definately... pottassium nitrate (saltpeter)... think that's what the crystals are... add that to sulphur and charcoal... you got gunpowder.... you can make it from dried pi$$ too!!

Yeah, I saw that on some programme. It didn't look the best job in the world I can tell you....

Comment

Working...
                        X