what diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what diesel

I have noticed various posts warning of the down side to Morrisons Diesel.

Where and what diesel to members use and for what reason ie cost, performance increase, better running etc?

I tend to fill at a Tesco Shopping ctr on cost grounds but is it worth using say Shell or BP Ultimate at the extra costs?

thanks

Morisons diesel just sceems to lack power and does not give good mpg . I use a diesel veg mix so i just use supermarket diesel and have had no problems
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

last week i used atank of shell vmax diesel,and the differnce was noticeable and good,more power,and more mpg
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I always thought Diesel was Diesel, I stick anything that is cheap in mine (Diesel veg mix)
        I Love Wales

Comment

I have just new running on diesel since its been colder, BP ultimate seems to make the truck run a lot smoother and quieter. Not tried V power yet, but the V power petrol is good.
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

i tried some rally spec petrol from fleet serices once.it was (round about) 2.30 a litre.very expensive but wow.i used it in my old v6 mondeo,which had apower upgrade and pumped out 250 ish bhp.i used to be able to get 0 to 60 in about 7 seconds but with rhe high octane stuff it was much much quicker.the shell vmax diesel smells like it has something like redex in it.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

looks like most of you are cost driven then.

Am I correct in thinking these "superior diesels" cost around 4p/l more than standard.

Also only had my 4 runner a few weeks. It has 148k on clock with fmdsh has only ever been run on diesel and runs great. I am interested in running a veggie diesel mix and have followed the threads on mix ratios.

a) My main concern is that if I introduce veg oil could I effect the performance/reliability.

b) Should I expect "sludging" problems and how do you overcome or take precautionary measures.

c) Am i right in thinking introduce at 20% rising to 50% veg in non winter use. See some go as high as 80% and that 20% is about max for safe winter mode.

d) With the cost of veg relatively high at 60p+/l and I only do about 10k miles/year is the saving worth the risk?

your advice is appreciated.

Comment

Am I correct in thinking these "superior diesels" cost around 4p/l more than standard.

Don't know, never used them

a) My main concern is that if I introduce veg oil could I effect the performance/reliability.

Never noticed any differance

b) Should I expect "sludging" problems and how do you overcome or take precautionary measures.

Never had this problem either, I do change my Fuel filter yearly though

c) Am i right in thinking introduce at 20% rising to 50% veg in non winter use. See some go as high as 80% and that 20% is about max for safe winter mode.

I have never used more than 50% and I use about 25% in winter

d) With the cost of veg relatively high at 60p+/l and I only do about 10k miles/year is the saving worth the risk?

The way I look at it is even £10 per week saving is £520 per year which pays for my tax and insurance
                I Love Wales

Comment

A petrol car won't gain from high octane fuel unless it is mapped to do so
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra
                    This is true unless it's a jap import you can run most on 95 but in japan it's 97 or 99 or something like that,
                    I can't run my rev 1 turbo on 95 as it's been mapped to 97 + car runs better too

Comment

By "high octane" I meant the race fuels, and the 102+ stuff.

I'd only run jap imports ('88 or so on) and modern "performance" engines on "super" as that what they are mapped for (as you say)

My supra TT usually gets Tesco Super plus, as that what Rogue systems mapped it on

What cracks me up is when someone on a forum says that their XR2 with fooked rings and a big bore exhaust runs waaaay faster on 102 RON

Back to Diesel Surfs... I just filled up mine, ran 350 miles at 23 mpg on BP ultimate D ran it right to the last drop (errr literally ) Just filled up with regular BP and will see how that goes....

I used this MPG calculator

The engine sounds considerably more "dieselly" on the none ultimate.
                      More Lift.
                      More Tyres.
                      More Engine.

Comment

Hey Karma you know Patrick from rogue m8 it's a small world

My mate has a supra tt too m8 running 566bhp and 485ftlb with a t61 and it's not been tweaked yet as he is a mapper based in oxford (he did my car) and always said min 97 as it was mapped for that, he was taught by a guy called dave rowe (think thats it lol) so thats his way of spending £££ on it, they are nice cars was leaning towards 1 of them myself but went with the mr2.
                        Is yours a manual box?

Not up on the diesel fuel much mate thats why as with mr2 i use the forums for info to learn from as i now nothing about surfs as of yet

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra
                          hehe it will just pop a bit more out the exhaust

my fast road car used to pink on 95.. i had to use 97 minimum.. if we were going out, i used 98 + octane boost (this was before 99..)

the 2.1 litres use leaded 101 + octane boost, and have the ignition timing set up accordingly :p
                          Last edited by dieselboy; 8 November 2007, 15:02.
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I know Lynden better that just moved over from Thor. I was up there as they were fitting and setting up the management (Link G3) on a project I had just undergone, a V8 mkii supra, while I was there they set up my boost and fuel controller.

I am into my oldschool Supras, Mkii and more specifcly Mkiii, the bubble Mkivs with the silly headlights and spoilers don't do anything for me. People assume when I say I have a supra TT its one of those :P Mine is a manual aerotop (targa roof)
                            More Lift.
                            More Tyres.
                            More Engine.

Comment

Let us know the outcome of your test sounds interesting.

did you manage 350 mile from a full tank? I have run mine down to just before the bottom of the shaded scale and got about 230.

Is there a low warning light for fuel if so anyone know what reserve you have once this comes on? Guess it should tell me in Opp Manual!

Comment

Working...
                              X