Whats above the gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats above the gearbox

Any idea what is above the gearbox as thats where my oilleak is and me praying it's not clutch or fecked gearbox or the gearbox dont have to come off any ideas

Originally posted by Retribution
    Any idea what is above the gearbox
    The gearstick?

Comment

Yeh but i was wondering what was above it that could be the reason for spilling out oil slowly as the bell housing is covered in oil from the top of it to the bottom

Comment

Yeh but i was wondering what was above it that could be the reason for spilling out oil slowly as the bell housing is covered in oil from the top of it to the bottom

It's most likely the rocker cover gasket leaking at the back of the engine near the bulkhead.

Comment

can the head gasket leak oil at the back?
          or is it not engine oil
          Grant

Comment

As Vince said it's most likley the rocker cover, have a feel around at the back of the head, between the head and bulkhead, or maybe the breather from the cover has come off,
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

The head was changed in march 96 and was fitted with a new 1 and gasket but spose it could be the prob i cant see any oil from the top back of the engine but wouldn't rule it out i just hope it's not a big job it's a black oil dripping not loads but i think over time it's been dribbling

Check out the pics i did and you may see what i mean

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38231

Comment

Just around the 2 pipes at the back there is a amount of oil so looks like it is the rocker cover.
                Anyone know off hand how much that usually is to repair?

Comment

Originally posted by MTBBILLY
                  Simple job...

Go for it.strip off connections to rocker cover,remove slowly all bolts half turn each at a time and clean polish with 25lb bag of gritblast sand and refit with new gasket.

Its only nuts and bolts and sand
                  Last edited by Antshiel; 6 November 2007, 20:25.
                  http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by MTBBILLY
                    Simple job...

Go for it.strip off connections to rocker cover,remove slowly all bolts half turn each at a time and clean polish and refit with new gasket.

Its only nuts and bolts
                    Not done this with this kind of engine only the 3sgte, got it booked in for thursday for a check and diagnostics will let em do it whats the usual "fair" price to do it

Comment

I feel a headache coming on, how long would it take to fit it with someone who knows these engines

Comment

Just ask them how much they'll charge you, if you're worried over cost. It's a straight forward job, so they can give you a fairly accurate estimate before doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                          It's most likely the rocker cover gasket leaking at the back of the engine near the bulkhead.
                          You are correct m8 had it in this am and they confirmed it as being the problem, they started the engine on the ramps and saw it was leaking (dribbling out) from the back passenger side then from drivers side.
                          The head was changed in june 06 and they used the same gasket that seems to have gone hard, why they didn't change it i will never know

Rocker cover on order from toyota and will hopefully get it sorted next week, why couldn't they have any in stock

Comment

The head was changed in march 96 and was fitted with a new 1 and gasket but spose it could be the prob i cant see any oil from the top back of the engine but wouldn't rule it out i just hope it's not a big job it's a black oil dripping not loads but i think over time it's been dribbling

Check out the pics i did and you may see what i mean

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38231
                            tighten up the oil filter mate
                            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Tried to charvell but it's tight, was hoping it was that, but will get em to unscrew and check that out as well.
                              The gasket seal has gone hard they did around 1,500 worth of work on it but didn't change the seal which is silly would have done it as a necessity. they also did the following work same day and new parts fitted.

cylinder head set (brand new)
                              head bolts (brand new)
                              head skim and pressure test
                              cam belt kit (brand new)
                              cylinder head (brand new)
                              antifreeze
                              oil and filter
                              top hose (brand new)
                              2x batteries (brand new)

So as you can see they did a lot of work on it and left out something so silly
                              Had a quote of around £60 to sort it out and clean up the oil spill just hope thats it, as it is a lovely surf and i would rather drive that than my mr2
                              Last edited by Retribution; 8 November 2007, 17:04.

Comment

Working...
                              X