Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery Points

Gday Guys
    Am heading up Northern Western Australia in December and am currently fitting some rated recovery points to the hilux ute. Getting bogged is a forgon conclusion so need some rated points for snatching.

Putting the hooks on the back is easy as the chasis is exposed and the ends of the chasis are open.

Fitting rated recovery points to the front is harder. Getting the nuts on the bolts on the inside of a sealed chasis is going to be a mission. Anyone done it before. If so you got an photos you can display or any hints.

Ps for those of you guys using the hook fitted to your hilux by toyota for recovery, that hook is only for shipping purpose's and ain't rated, They do break off and fly through your mates rear window
    Harden the Fuk Up Princess

Originally posted by hilux2.8
    Ps for those of you guys using the hook fitted to your hilux by toyota for recovery, that hook is only for shipping purpose's and ain't rated, They do break off and fly through your mates rear window

really? never knew this - can anyone confirm?
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
      That happened to tony when recovering danno fron the mud puddle on the plain

It didnt hit the 1st gen that time
      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

There are two bolt holes either side of the front frame - the snatch will pulling directly on the bolts = a good thing. They look an odd thread size - maybe M12 fine or 1/2'' UNF??? You've also got the other four bolt holes (two hold the standard hook on, the other two are on the opposite frame rail). I think all of these bolts are the same size though.

Might be best to weld some substantial brackets directly to the frame if you're going playing in the sand etc.
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

They do break off and fly through your mates rear window
          There is a pic somewhere on the Aussie site showing a hook that has gone through the open rear window, through the headliner, and impaled itself in the roof.

The pic is taken from above the roof of the truck, the hook is clearly visible!!!!!!!!!!
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
            There is a pic somewhere on the Aussie site showing a hook that has gone through the open rear window, through the headliner, and impaled itself in the roof.

The pic is taken from above the roof of the truck, the hook is clearly visible!!!!!!!!!!
            OUCH!
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Have them fitted

Fitted the rated recovery points. 2 on the front & 2 on the back.

Very easy on the front as the holes are already there in the chassis and the hook i bought had the same hole dimensions

The rear was just as easy just needed to drill some holes, fit the hooks and backing plate, torque the high tensile bolts & bobs your uncle.
              Last edited by hilux2.8; 8 February 2008, 10:16.

Comment

Fitted the rated recovery points. 2 on the front & 2 on the back.

Very easy on the front as the holes are already there in the chassis and the hook i bought had the same hole dimensions

The rear was just as easy just needed to drill some holes, fit the hooks and backing plate, torque the high tensile bolts & bobs your uncle.
                Where did you get these from mate I need to sort this as a matter of urgency then as i had no idea about the clip on the front.

(some time later)

I have just had a check under the front of mine and there is a one on either side. On the one side there is a bracket with a hole cut into it and on the other there is a fairly meaty looking towing hitch with a clip over the top.

Excuse the utter ignorance here but is the meaty looking clip looks similar to the picture above other than the gate across the top is this a proper tow point?

Can post piccies tomorrow if i need to.
                Last edited by Muddy Boots; 27 November 2007, 19:02.
                Tequilla - breakfast of heros.

Comment

Hi
                  Lads New To This But Have Seen On A Old Landrover That Some One Removed To Top Bolt From The Front Springs Then Used Longer Ones And Made Up Pear Shaped Plate So It Would Swivel Then Had Three Pieces If Wire Rope Made With Eyes On IN TO ' Y ' SHAPE And Used To Pull From The Centre. This Would Pull Evenley And Very Strong
                  Last edited by RICKYTRACTORS; 27 November 2007, 19:14.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                    I've ripped the end completely off a chassis on a truck before on a hard recovery, but the stock hook and bolts where fine. Don't worry about it. In 20 years of pulling Toyotas out of sticky holes I've never seen a broken front hook.

If you are worried, buy a TJM or similar hook to replace the Toy one.

Originally Posted by Woodzie
                    That happened to tony when recovering danno fron the mud puddle on the plain

It didnt hit the 1st gen that time

It only had one bolt in from the start, and the other one got stripped as it worked its way loose after the 4th time of rescuing dan from the same hole!
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                      I've ripped the end completely off a chassis on a truck before on a hard recovery, but the stock hook and bolts where fine. Don't worry about it. In 20 years of pulling Toyotas out of sticky holes I've never seen a broken front hook.

If you are worried, buy a TJM or similar hook to replace the Toy one.

It only had one bolt in from the start, and the other one got stripped as it worked its way loose after the 4th time of rescuing dan from the same hole!
                      and more to the point not one of the car makers will rate a hook they provide,i know cause ive had a new megane come off my truck while winching!

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Boots
                        Where did you get these from mate I need to sort this as a matter of urgency then as i had no idea about the clip on the front.

(some time later)

I have just had a check under the front of mine and there is a one on either side. On the one side there is a bracket with a hole cut into it and on the other there is a fairly meaty looking towing hitch with a clip over the top.

Excuse the utter ignorance here but is the meaty looking clip looks similar to the picture above other than the gate across the top is this a proper tow point?

Can post piccies tomorrow if i need to.
                        Gday Muddyboots the hook fitted to the drivers side of toyotas are not rated fullstop. People say "na you can use it, she'll be right mate no worries " but do you want to risk towing out bogged car with a loaded non rated 3lb hook/cannonball.

I spoke to one of my work mates about it. He's a National Park Ranger ( 4wd nut & ex machinist) he told of his experience snatching a tourists hilux from mud and ended up snaping the hook and ducking for cover as it was only nasty cast iron.
                        He then informed me that WA government policy now says that goverment employees are not to snatch/recover vehicles unless they both have fitted rated recovery points
                        The new Mitsubishi Pajero & some GM Holden(Isuzu/Vaxhaul in the UK) 4wd's are now fitted with rated points but Toyota's aint.
                        The rated hooks I fitted are from my local ARB shop, ive seen them in Tjm dealers etc. They are only about $25.00 each which is about 12 pound in the old currency.
                        The rated hooks come with high tensile bolts, washers & nyloc nuts which i used on the rear, while the front hooks required the fittment of some high tensile fine thread metric bolts which i got from a fastners/nuts n bolt dealer.
                        The backing plates for the rear are made from 1/4inch galvanised flat bar purchased from my local hardware store.

Comment

Working...
                        X