Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip

I'm planning a road trip from Brisbane to Sydney.

Has anyone done this?

If so, have you any suggestions?
    There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Any particular reason for picking Brisbane to Sydney? It's not one of the best drives in Australia and I always fly that bit.

Don't let me put you off, there's nothing bad about it at all and it's beautiful - it's just that there is even better available if you've got a lot of time and like an adventure.

Obvious places to stop are Byron Bay and Coffs Harbour on the coast, Tamworth (just to see a country town) and Maitland (in the middle of the Hunter Valley - wine country) inland and Katoomba just west of Sydney in the mountains.

Comment

Because I'm flying in and out of Brisbane, and going to Sydney. It works out just as cheap having the car for a few days in Sydney, as it would to have the car in Brisbane and fly down to Sydney and hire another car.

Idea is to take the coast road, Stop off a Byron Bay, stay the night in Coffs Harbour.

Whilst in Sydney we will be going to the Blue Mountains and Jenolan Caves.

Sydney is actually the easy bit, it was Qld and northen NSW which I haven't done before.
      There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Road Trip Info Australia

The drive from Sydney to Brisbane aint that exciting. The Old Pacific hwy has some nice sights. Byron bay aint bad. But on the scale of things pretty dull.

If you want a good rod trip try Brisbane to Cape York. Good roads for the south then its 4wd heaven in the far north, youll get to see a bit of the city life eg Brisbane, Experience the wild nights at a Cairns nightclub.

Then from Cairns to Cape York is all the Good stuff where having a 4wdriving is awesome. C

Camping on some remote beach, fishing for barramundi on the edge of some magnificent water ways. If time is of the essence Cairns to Cape York is worthy road trip.

Pick your time though. Dry season is the best which is May to September so rain is a minimum and most roads & 4wd tracks are open.

Try this link for some Qld road trip info. Some of its plugging goodies but it aint bad
        http://www.exploroz.com/Default.aspx
        Harden the Fuk Up Princess

Comment

Originally posted by hilux2.8
          The drive from Sydney to Brisbane aint that exciting. The Old Pacific hwy has some nice sights. Byron bay aint bad. But on the scale of things pretty dull.

If you want a good rod trip try Brisbane to Cape York. Good roads for the south then its 4wd heaven in the far north, youll get to see a bit of the city life eg Brisbane, Experience the wild nights at a Cairns nightclub.

Then from Cairns to Cape York is all the Good stuff where having a 4wdriving is awesome. C

Camping on some remote beach, fishing for barramundi on the edge of some magnificent water ways. If time is of the essence Cairns to Cape York is worthy road trip.

Pick your time though. Dry season is the best which is May to September so rain is a minimum and most roads & 4wd tracks are open.

Try this link for some Qld road trip info. Some of its plugging goodies but it aint bad
          http://www.exploroz.com/Default.aspx

Sadly I'm needing to go to Sydney from Brisbane, maybe I'll just fly to Sydney and hire a car when I'm in Sydney as time is kinda on the short side.

Comment

I'd love to drive it, road trips are cool. I'd drive is the option is there, this country is to small, the though of a dead straight road for days is kinda refreshing and makes you get life in proportion.

We went to Sidney, and hired a 4x4 for a few days and drove around the Blue Mountains on fire trails. Completely cool.

We hired a guide, he was in his truck, Linda and I in ours, and followed him around, would deffo do it again, and definatly worth getting someone to show you around, you'd miss so much otherwise, and probably get lost!!
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm going to drive.

I've already posted on the Aus forum, so hopefully there'll be some tips around there too.

Will have my GPS, my UBD maps, but my local knowledge of the blue mountains is poor.

I'm going to hire a Nissan Patrol (( or similar) so the website says)

Comment

aus trip

Went to aus to visit the daughter on her gap year, did Cairns to Cooktown via Daintree in a Rav 4, this is a very long time before the Surf, $$$$$$ brilliant, looking down on the CROCS sunbathing at the side of the river,never did get to have a swim. Aus must be the best place for 4x4, have a great time. cheers jim

Comment

Originally posted by White Russian
                  Went to aus to visit the daughter on her gap year, did Cairns to Cooktown via Daintree in a Rav 4, this is a very long time before the Surf, $$$$$$ brilliant, looking down on the CROCS sunbathing at the side of the river,never did get to have a swim. Aus must be the best place for 4x4, have a great time. cheers jim
                  Sweet, I'll remember to take the camera too then

Comment

Sounds like you'll have a ball! What season will you be in down there?

Dave

Comment

For their Summer.

Leaving on Boxing Day

Only going for 17 days as I'm really busy at work, and I can't take any more days off.

Comment

Working...
                      X