4wd vs 2wd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd vs 2wd

Hello everyone. I am considering buying a Surf and have a question I hope someone can answer.

I read in a thread on this website that it is not a good idea to keep the 4wd engaged whilst driving on tarmac - I think the thread was talking about "dragging" of the rear wheels.

I live in deepest darkest Derbyshire and one of the problems I have is that the (tarmac) road surfaces in winter can vary quite a lot, within the space of a journey. Something like this...

Leave home - road untreated very icy on hills
    Get on A6 - road well treated, no ice, good traction
    Get on b road - road mixed with patches of compressed snow but with good tarmac between!

If I go with a Surf does that mean that I will need to keep engaging/disengaging the 4wd when driving between good and poor surfaces?

If I do have to keep switching I am not sure how useable the Surf would be. I always thought an advantage of the 4wd was to have it running for a "just in case" scenario during the winter months?

Am I right in thinking that other 4wd's (I realise that I am risking it on this website!), such as a Disco can run 4wd on dry tarmac with these issues.

Thanks for reading this and I would be grateful for any help!

Rob.

Originally posted by RobKellaway
    Hello everyone. I am considering buying a Surf and have a question I hope someone can answer.

I read in a thread on this website that it is not a good idea to keep the 4wd engaged whilst driving on tarmac - I think the thread was talking about "dragging" of the rear wheels.

I live in deepest darkest Derbyshire and one of the problems I have is that the (tarmac) road surfaces in winter can vary quite a lot, within the space of a journey. Something like this...

Leave home - road untreated very icy on hills
    Get on A6 - road well treated, no ice, good traction
    Get on b road - road mixed with patches of compressed snow but with good tarmac between!

If I go with a Surf does that mean that I will need to keep engaging/disengaging the 4wd when driving between good and poor surfaces?

If I do have to keep switching I am not sure how useable the Surf would be. I always thought an advantage of the 4wd was to have it running for a "just in case" scenario during the winter months?

Am I right in thinking that other 4wd's (I realise that I am risking it on this website!), such as a Disco can run 4wd on dry tarmac with these issues.

Thanks for reading this and I would be grateful for any help!

Rob.
    The problem is when you go round corners on a surface that won't allow the wheels to vary speed, i'e when the 4WD kicks in.
    The surf's 4x4 is engageable on the fly up to 30mph i think....
    When we recently had some snow and ice here, thats what I did, 2wd as normal, but when I hit some snow or ice, i just clicked the 4wd button to safely get me through....
    The 4WD of a surf isn't the same as the 4WD as something like a 4WD car. But the advantage being its better off road.
    Thats as I see it. But i'm not up to speed on the exact details as some of the others here.. so see what they say before you make a decision.

CM
    2 Tone Mud Master!
    http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Comment

I believe all 3rd gen surfs have a central diff to allow 4wd on tarmac
      but the 2nd gen and earlier do not.

However even with a central diff,(as per Disco) If the going gets tough you need to engage a central difflock which gives the sames setup as a 2nd gen in 4wd!

I personally just come in and out of 4wd in snowy/muddy /loose conditions as and when It is needed.(2nd gen 3.0 auto)

Imho 4wd dont do a great deal on sheet ice anyway!

Cheers

Neil
      www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Thanks, very useful info.

Totally agree with the last comment about ice!

So I take it that no gear shifting is required to move between 2wd and 4wd? Just a button? well that sounds easy!

R.

Comment

It is true that some other 4WD can run all the time in 4WD however as has been said these 4WD systems will only give you the same level of traction as a part time 4WD system if you engage the central diff lock - also even then no 4WD has permanant 4WD if it doesn't have front and rear diff locks as well. If you lose traction on a 4WD on one wheel the opposite wheel has no traction as well in the case of an open diff.

It is so easy to put the Surf in and out of 4WD (a button on the transfer lever), it can be done at up to 60KMH. I drove around in the snow last year no problems, patchy roads like you were saying - treated, untreated, wet, black ice, dry etc.

Also you will find that correct tyre choice is more important. 4WD only gives you drive traction, won't stop you slipping off the road if you go too fast round a bend and hit a patch of black ice.

The good thing about part time 4WD is that it is easier to fix, less to go wrong and a far simpler system. Remember the original go anywhere 4WDs (Willys Jeeps and Landrovers and Gypsies) all had part time 4WD. It's only in the last few years that permanant 4WD has become more common.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X