Coolant??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant??

Hi folk’s, well to start with I am not the most mechanically minded bloke around!! I had my truck serviced with Tony N and all the coolant was replaced, since this I have had a few issues with loosing a little water and re-filled with plain old H20.

This has left me with 2 questions; does coolant act also as anti-freeze?? If so what coolant do I need to add again, it was blue to start with!!

If coolant does not act as anti-freeze, what is the best one of that to add and do I need to drain the system again.

The most silly question is the one you don’t ask hey, remember this when you look at this and reply.

Thanks all in advance for you help,

Dean K
    "Master you anger, before anger is your master!!"

Originally posted by Dean K
    Hi folk’s, well to start with I am not the most mechanically minded bloke around!! I had my truck serviced with Tony N and all the coolant was replaced, since this I have had a few issues with loosing a little water and re-filled with plain old H20.

This has left me with 2 questions; does coolant act also as anti-freeze?? If so what coolant do I need to add again, it was blue to start with!!

If coolant does not act as anti-freeze, what is the best one of that to add and do I need to drain the system again.

The most silly question is the one you don’t ask hey, remember this when you look at this and reply.

Dean K
    Hi, if you r loosing coolant then get it checked. If it overheats it can be very costly.

Your coolant cools the engine... to stop the coolant freezing in our climate it is mixed with an antifreeze.

Most local garages will do a coolant check for next to nothing.
    If it needs more anti freeze then you can just top it up.
    If you just use water then it will weeken the coolant/antifreeze mix so your coolant will freeze at a higher temp.

You wont need to drain the system again just add more antifreeze if needed.
    BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Originally posted by Dean K

The most silly question is the one you don’t ask hey, remember this when you look at this and reply.Dean K

The coolant is also antifreeze if the coolant is red add red if its green add green. If your not sure ring tony and ask what coolant he uses.
      Coolant is usually mixed 50/50 with water, depending on how much water you have topped up with will determine how much neat coolant you need to add.
      Trust your Hound.

Comment

Coolant is a corrosion inhibitor and an anti freeze. Its also very clever at finding ways of eascaping. If theres the tiniest leak path it will find it. The occasional top up with water will cause no harm , but regular top ups with water will eventually weaken the mix. If topping up use the same coolant as was in there originally, or in other words try not to mix different colours , types of coolant. chances are you have a tiny leak somewhere you just need to locate it and fix it.

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

it could be that a little air is still in the system, Tony will have burped it sufficiently, but for 2-3 weeks you should have to put a bit more in as you go, while the last of the air escapes.

Try facing the truck uphill, with the rad cap off and leave it on drivers seat so-as not to forget it, have both heaters on full aswell, but other than that, keep close eye on it and top it up. If after a while its still losing, look for problems
          Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

and top up with Distilled/Demineralised Water, not tap water.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              and top up with Distilled/Demineralised Water, not tap water.
              I'm feeling very demineralised recently.....

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                I'm feeling very demineralised recently.....

Drink some tap water then!

Comment

Drink some tap water then!
                  Drink Water.....are you mad? Fish pi$$ in water!
                  Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                  Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                    Drink Water.....are you mad? Fish pi$$ in water!
                    Which, funnily enough, leads me onto one of my usual questions. Do spiders poo?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                      Which, funnily enough, leads me onto one of my usual questions. Do spiders poo?

Course they do, they make webs out of it!

Comment

Course they do, they make webs out of it!
                        Nope. That's a glandular excretion.

Comment

Exactly, poo!

Honey is bee poo.

Comment

So is silk

silk stockings ........Glandular excretion ........spoils the effect a bit
                            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Exactly, poo!

Honey is bee poo.
                              Yeah, but, poo isn't a glandular by product. It's a digestive system by product.

Comment

Working...
                              X