• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tosh.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
      electrical retard that i am,
      is there any way,whilst still preserving the two batteries wired in paralell,that they can be wired to provide voltage in series,but to the pump only,(is this round the right way)to provide the necessary 24v

or am i talking tosh
      That would be handy if it could be done, i used to use one of these 24v pumps to run the fish pond filters with two 12v batterys wired in series (?)
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
        If you fit a 3KW inverter, and actually use it anywhere near its limit, you will be drawing in the region of 250A from your 12v system. That will place serious strain on pretty much every part of the electrical system.

If you dont need that much power, spec your inverter nearer what you'll actually need. It will be smaller, cheaper and less likely to set your truck on fire.
        Andy is there any way you can reduce the overload/fire risk other than dropping the size of the invertor or is it a case of the loom can only take so much?
        Brian

Comment

Just correctly size your cables, batteries, alternator(s!) etc if you really want to draw a continuous 250A!

A bog-standard PC is not likely to draw more than about 100w - 150w once booted, so you'd be OK with, say, a 300w inverter.

In my old job, we had a couple of 500w ones wired permanently into a landy for trials work. They were wired with 'jumper' type cable and isolated via a big key switch.

We used to use ONE of them to power several PCs, a laptop and several sensors with no issues, and kept the engine running. 1.5KW is overkill, and 3KW on full load (you'd have to go some to fit enough kit in the Surf!) would wreck your batteries in short order!
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE
            That would be handy if it could be done, i used to use one of these 24v pumps to run the fish pond filters with two 12v batterys wired in series (?)
            Well it cant - not at the same time as they are in parallel, so like Matt said - Tosh!

Just buy a 12v pump!
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
              Well it cant - not at the same time as they are in parallel, so like Matt said - Tosh!

Just buy a 12v pump!
              OK

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE
                i've found the 24v water pump just aint doing it on 12v

Ian...

hope you are keeping well... I couldn't leave this post... but...

Why do you want to fit a pump in the truck...? you thinking about a pond or fountain in the back now? Couldn't you just do with a fishtank?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                  Ian...

hope you are keeping well... I couldn't leave this post... but...

Why do you want to fit a pump in the truck...? you thinking about a pond or fountain in the back now? Couldn't you just do with a fishtank?

Ahahah nice one Andy, well i already got some fish so just need a tank, dont think they'll last long in the veg oil one the pumps to help with circulation through the veg heating system, only used this one as i "had it" and it seemd to pump pretty well when i tried it in a bucket of water but with the restrictions of being "in the line" it aint moveing enough water to do any good,

Keeping well mate, thanks for asking, the useual two paces forward and three back

Comment

mate!!!

i have noticed you seem to be having more than your fair share of bad luck.with regards to the electrical gremlins,i have had some of the same,and to wit have installed battery isolation switches,next to the batteries.my missus asked "isnt it a pain in the ar5e having to open the bonnet every morning",but the upside is i have to check oil and water anyway,and this makes sure i do
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                    X