4runner or Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4runner or Surf

Sorry guys for another real newbie question (I'm still hunting for my perfect Surf....fleabay has all but dried up of decent ones) - whats the difference between the 4runner and the Surf??! I'm guessing the 4runner is the UK model, but are there any differences/negatives/positives for getting one or t'other?

Cheers

The 4 runner is the UK model, although it was also sold in other markets ( US, Europe, Middle East) The Surf is the jap model.
    In Japan they dont cover their roads with Salt so normally an imported Surf is corrosion free. They also come with more bells, whistles and bling than the UK models. Air conditioning is standard for example. Jap Surfs will tend to be lower mileage as Tojo tends to use the excellent public transport system for commuting, while the car or cars are weekend toys. I would say that there are more reasons to go for a SURF than a 4 runner, but I suppose if you happened across a stunning, bargain 4 runner then it might be desirable. If youre one of these who are all hung up on having a stick to shake around ( to make you feel manly and in control) Surfs with manual gearboxes are rarer than autos. 4 runners I think are mostly manual.
    Im now on SURF no 3. Surf no1 was a 91 model. Surf No 2 was a 93. and current one is a 96. Every single one of them was comparable to a 2-3 year old UK car in terms of corrosion attacks and general wear tear and condition Only other thing I would add is to steer clear of the 2.4 Surf unless you can be sure it has had the head replaced with the uprated 3L head.

Bogus
    Last edited by Bogus; 29 October 2007, 11:39.
    Сви можемо

Comment

Thanks for the info Bogus, from what you've written, there isnt a decision here, it has to be a surf

I hate to admit it, I had a bad experience with an auto Omega and since been much happier with a manual...but i'm sure that'll change once i get into a surf! I've never driven (or been in one before), whats the whole experience like - is it a smooth ride, is it noisy when your on the motorway? Reading all the forums, it looks like theres no ride quite like in a surf (well almost )?

Comment

The Surf is a smooth drive and the auto boxes are pretty flawless. A lot depends on what mods you do to it. If for example you lift it, fit bigger rubber, go for A/T tyres then the drive becomes less smooth at higher speeds but up to legal speeds its pretty much like siting in a saloon car.
        With this being a SURF forum most members are of course a little biased but theres plenty of members around who have owned other 4x4s and claim that the Surf is tops.
        What is that youre after, what kind of money are you looking to spend? You can pick up good 3rd gens for under £ 4000 and good 2nd gens for around £ 3000. You can get good 2nd gens for even less and then use any spare cash for bling or added beef. Theres plenty around, just keep looking and be patient, try all avenues, autotrader, pistonheads, ebay, Surfs for sale on here, some of the traders are worth a look too. You pay a bit more but get some kind of guarantee. Look for a trader nearby and go take one for a spin. Be prepared to travel a bit too. The one you want may not be on your doorstep

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

I have a 1996 4runner SR5 and have absolutely no complaints.
          Philip
          Still Searching,
          Dick Whittington

Comment

The main deciding factor between the two tends to be condition, and nothing more. The Surfs are generally in better nick due to their time in different climes, but other than that, pick whichever floats your boat.

Comment

I have a manual surf, ( for sale if you want it) but would prefer an auto so I can fit 33" tyres to it, and use it offroad ( see BIG Wales trip thread, it's in there) I find the manual more difficult to drive offroad, and would prefer an auto when trying to drive a two ton truck.
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
              X