Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing the fuel filter on the 3.0ltr

Allo all,
    iam planning on doing the service on my 3ltr in the next week or so and was wondering if there is any special way of changing the fuel filter, ie= does the system need bleeding after or is it just a straight replacement ???
    N E help would be gratefully appreciated.
    cheers folks
    joe
    (new member so go easy )

Take the old filter off fit the new one press the plunger on top untill hard and then start the engine thats all you need to do
    I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Hi mate.

Just unscrew the filter, remove, then unscrew the bottom bit from the filter housing. Then screw the new filter in place. Before you tighten it fully, leave a small gap so that you can prime the filter and fill it with diesel. Then fully tighten and fire the truck up.

I'm sure the fuel pump is self bleeding, as I never had to bleed it when I did mine.

Hope this helps.

Comment

you get new rubber seals that need fitting onto new filter also .

Comment

It's easier if you unbolt the mounting bracket & remove the whole lot from the vehicle then remove the filter & water sensor, & then put it all back together.

Comment

Originally posted by lclascaris
            It's easier if you unbolt the mounting bracket & remove the whole lot from the vehicle then remove the filter & water sensor, & then put it all back together.

Only if the filter is jammed onto the filter head. It's usually unnecessary otherwise to remove the full unit.

Comment

thanks peeps

thanks for all ya good advice will give it a bash l8tr this week.
              joe

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                Only if the filter is jammed onto the filter head. It's usually unnecessary otherwise to remove the full unit.
                As we are refering to a 3rd Gen were the fuel filter is located in a different position to a 2nd gen. The Toyota technicians where I used to work always removed the whole unit as it comes off very easily with the 2 nuts, then they used to clamp the housing in the vice to remove the fuel filter using a strap & then re-assembled everything with ease of it not being in the corner of the n/s wing.

Comment

And don't forget to fill the new filter up with the diesel from the old one. No need to prime the new one then.
                  http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by lclascaris
                    As we are refering to a 3rd Gen were the fuel filter is located in a different position to a 2nd gen. The Toyota technicians where I used to work always removed the whole unit as it comes off very easily with the 2 nuts, then they used to clamp the housing in the vice to remove the fuel filter using a strap & then re-assembled everything with ease of it not being in the corner of the n/s wing.

Quite possibly, but if the filter unit is on hand tight as it should be, removal of the head is still unnecessary, regardless of it's location.

Comment

THANK YOU Matt!!

I've argued til i'm blue in the face that it should only be done up hand tight, not wrench tight.

You have the advantage of being able to change it with no tools should it clog up while you're out somewhere.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                        THANK YOU Matt!!

I've argued til i'm blue in the face that it should only be done up hand tight, not wrench tight.

You have the advantage of being able to change it with no tools should it clog up while you're out somewhere.

They'll still heed us not, though. Good advice seems to get ignored completely. Using anything other than ones hands to tighten it, (or the oil filter), is stupidity.

How many times have I told people to service their cooling system completely before it goes bang, and how many have actually listened? Zero.

Comment

soap box just been delivered for matt f

i did take your advice and "serviced" the cooling system about a week ago,
                          and it didnt murmur despite being ragged up mountains all weekend
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                            soap box just been delivered for matt f
                            Cheers. The old one was getting a bit rickety.

Originally posted by gwh200
                            i did take your advice and "serviced" the cooling system about a week ago,
                            and it didnt murmur despite being ragged up mountains all weekend
                            Good god. Am I imagining things? Someone actually listened and heeded?

Comment

i have to be perfectly honest,when you get all "computer buff"

i have absolutely no clue whats going on,but a throw back from my apprenticeship was me being thumped around the head,because i had over tightened an oil filter on an old dodge with a v8 perkins lump.it took me the best part of a day to get the bu55er undone.the old lump (along with the rolls eagle diesel) would just do the heads as well, if you didn't do a coolant service regularly.
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X