Nearly Killed a Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearly Killed a Dog

Last week while on Holiday in wales I was keeping pace on a country road with the car in front but leaving a good stopping distance between it, doing about 50mph. The limit was 60mph with the single lane each way. The road bank on my right was steep and thick tree lined on my left was a small grassy bank and a drop.
    A dog came running out of the trees to my right across the road just after a passing oncoming car and straight into my lane. There was another car coming on the other side of the road so swerving was not an option, I stamped on the brakes but knew I was going to hit the dog to my amazement the dog stopped in the middle of my lane and just moved sideways 3 or 4 paces. I came to a stop with 1 meter to spare the dog glanced at me and just ran off completing it's road crossing.

What got me was the fact that the surf did not skid at all, is that normal I have never stomped so hard on the brakes in the surf before as it has cured my boy racer days.

Should they skid or not??
    I know that it will vary on tyre type, loading and road surface but it did expect to leave some tracks on the road??

Do I need to get my brakes looked at?

Cheers
    Mark

id get them checked!but ive noticed compared to a car its more like throwing out an anchor in the surf lol

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2
      its more like throwing out an anchor in the surf lol
      spot on answer

Comment

Weight and tyres patterns/flex are the different factors that affect braking. Slowing a two tonne brick with tyres which are designed for grip is obviously going to have different stopping characteristics to a lighter vehicle with fine grooved tyres. Same way as an offroad vehicle is far less likely to aquaplane than a standard road vehicle.

Comment

Working...
        X