pc help required please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pc help required please!!!

im trying to save all my old e-mails from my laptop to an external hard drive, but not having any success.. can anybody advise please???
    CHEERS JOHN................

Outlook?

Comment

if its on outlook, go to
      file > data file management.
      them make a new file and place it on your desktop or somewhere you know. this is called a personal folder (or pst file)
      you will see this appear in outlook on the left hand side, below where it says inbox or sent items. it will say personal folder unless you named it otherwise.

move all your emails to this, and make sure if you have outlook xp or outlook 2000 that this file size dont go near to 1.8gb. if it does get close to this number then just make a new one and split the emails into the two files.

once they are all in there. close outlook and drag the files to your portable drive using my computer.
      you might have to remove the pst mapping from outlook by going to file > data file management (like before but in reverse)

if it says file in use while trying to copy, just restart the pc..
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

That was my first question - what do you use for your email????

It's a good place to start, then we can get our little grey cells working for you..
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

i do believe i beat you to it old boy..
          now for a round of polo on the horsey. and some tea and scones because im poshe
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
            i do believe i beat you to it old boy..
            now for a round of polo on the horsey. and some tea and scones because im poshe

Farrr Farrr - Splendid old chap - Holly Jockeysticks and all that, hang on - one of you, one of me - I make it Pimms O' clock!!

Oh yeah, that and I'm relegated to dial up for a while.....
            Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

yeah sorry. I use outlook express on windows xp home edition.

what dieselboy said sounds good! thanks m8!!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
                if its on outlook, go to
                file > data file management.
                them make a new file and place it on your desktop or somewhere you know. this is called a personal folder (or pst file)
                you will see this appear in outlook on the left hand side, below where it says inbox or sent items. it will say personal folder unless you named it otherwise.

move all your emails to this, and make sure if you have outlook xp or outlook 2000 that this file size dont go near to 1.8gb. if it does get close to this number then just make a new one and split the emails into the two files.

once they are all in there. close outlook and drag the files to your portable drive using my computer.
                you might have to remove the pst mapping from outlook by going to file > data file management (like before but in reverse)

if it says file in use while trying to copy, just restart the pc..
                Right ive stumbled at the first block!!

i cant find this "data file management"

Comment

ive never used outlook express except years ago when i was in school messing around.. the way it works is, it downloads emails from your online email account, like yahoo or msn or say your ISP eg virgin media.

there is an option somewhere that says once you have the email recieved to your pc, you can either keep a copy on the server or have it deleted.
                  if its set at keep a copy on the server then you wont need to back anything up in theory.

but i honestly dont know.. sorry mate.
                  give me outlook xp, 2000, 2003 or 2007 and i will sort it lol
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_move_my_...w_machine.html

Comment

go to the tools menu
                      select options
                      select the maintenance tab and then click on the store folder button
                      select the full text field and press Ctrl +c to copy the text
                      Click on your start button
                      select run
                      Ctrl + V to paste the text and press ok
                      copy all of the files in this folder and paste to the new area

on the new pc goto the File menu in Outlook Express
                      select import and choose outlook express 6, click next
                      select from oe6 mail store and then follow directions
                      Last edited by Gizmo; 24 October 2007, 22:54.
                      Gaz

Comment

oops just seen link supplied by MattF
                        Gaz

Comment

Working...
                        X