do i or dont i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do i or dont i

hi all, iam interested in buying a surf are they reliable and are spareparts easy to source.. oh and how many miles per gallon does lets say the 2.4 td model do???????????????
    CHEERS JOHN................

Just do it, you KNOW you want to.

Comment

first off slim welcome to the forum mate. Parts are easy to get hold of just ask & you shall receive.

my 2.4 does around 25mpg remember that the surf weighs in at around 2 tonnes

how much are you looking to spend ?
      the 2.4 has some issues with a cylinder head design fault, which if required can be replaced with the redisigned head. not all 2.4 suffer this problem as a recall notice was given in japan on pre mid 93 models.

the 3.0 has no known issues as such.
      all depends on your budget.
      insurance doesnt really differ between both engine types
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

thanks for the reply,s iam looking to spend between say £3000 and £5000 after i have convinced her indoors thats the hard part!!! i spend alot of time on the coast doing water sports, and most of the time there is thick soft sand would a surf be ok in sand like this as i see some old landrovers get stuck every now and then???? is there any difference in fuel consumption between the 30l and the 2.4l and are they all in auto gear boxs or can you get man???

Comment

Originally posted by slim
          hi all, iam interested in buying a surf are they reliable and are spareparts easy to source.. oh and how many miles per gallon does lets say the 2.4 td model do???????????????
          ive just brought one, love it, no different to any other 4x4 on mpg but better on style , as for reliabilty ...did you not see the top gear report, couldnt stop it, spare parts are at the press of the keys away on tinternet. just check everything out when buying even down to the imported s type tyres (no good for our roads) and also check all locks work with the keys as they do get lost in transit and you may end up with keys that dont fit the tailgate like i did .........B**t***S
          Main dealer sorted me out with a master key.
          All work and no play

Comment

thanks for the reply,s iam looking to spend between say £3000 and £5000 after i have convinced her indoors thats the hard part!!! i spend alot of time on the coast doing water sports, and most of the time there is thick soft sand would a surf be ok in sand like this as i see some old landrovers get stuck every now and then???? is there any difference in fuel consumption between the 30l and the 2.4l and are they all in auto gear boxs or can you get man???
            SAND is like any other sand so any vehicle may get stuck HOVERCRAFT is what you need. 5k will get you a 2nd gen 2.4 but be wary of head problems like i said not all 2.4 suffer.
            most are auto gearboxes manuals are rare.

there isnt really any difference in fuel consumption between the 30l and the 2.4l
            (\__/)
            (")_(")

Comment

Plus this is a Toyota and they go forever and then some, but, in the event that something serious does happen with your truck, rest assured that you only have to tip down the road to Japan to get some recognition.

I love mine and find myself respecting all Toyotas on the road no matter what they are (daft I know). An old man abandoned his '90 Sprinter outside the job last week with lights on. After the weekend and still unclaimed we went out and popped the hood on it (it had been left unlocked and still hadnt been burnt out which proves the respect everyone has for Toys). The rad and expansion bottle itself was covered in brown crud and was empty so she had overheated alright. The dipstick was dry too. Next thing one of the lads finds the keys under the front seat and what do ya know she started and ran (LOUD). Anyways the battery still read 12.70 volts on the meter so I took it . I wonder is the alternator worth having too since its obviously workin fine... The moral of the story in 12 words or less is 'Toyota, probably the best built cars in the world'
              Last edited by JimL; 28 February 2004, 23:08.

Comment

I used to do quite a lot of off road driving in the desert in the Middle East. The right choice of tyres is the most improtant thing. Any 4x4 will have problems if the tyres are wrong. Bridgestone Desert Duellers are good for Sand, if the sand is wet though get reasonable mud tyres and air them down to spread the load.

The Toyota will certainly do you proud though, head problems aside it is built like a tank, drives like a car and has lots of nice toys to play with on the motorway. Plus it isn't as heavy as a Landcruiser so less likelyhood of sinking in soft sand.

One other thing, on soft sand - keep moving and go at a reasonable pace, don't crawl.

Cheers

Comment

thanks a lot for all your replys you have all been helpfull

Comment

thanks a lot for all your replys you have all been helpfull
                    so have we convinced you ?
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment