X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• road tax

just had my reminder

£300 for the year
    again i will have to visit the local DVLA office. when i got my reg doc i had to visit them to explain it was in the wrong tax class and they gave me a refund and dropped it a class, seems as tho they have made a mistake again i hope paid £112 for 6 months last time now they want £165 for 6 months or £300 for the year
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Originally posted by mud skipper
    just had my reminder

£300 for the year
    again i will have to visit the local DVLA office. when i got my reg doc i had to visit them to explain it was in the wrong tax class and they gave me a refund and dropped it a class, seems as tho they have made a mistake again i hope paid £112 for 6 months last time now they want £165 for 6 months or £300 for the year

see thats 3rd gens for ya ya should have got a 2sd gen then only 99 for 6 months lol

Comment

atleast i will make it back in mpg if i do end up paying at the higher rate

Comment

Originally posted by pirate-storm
        see thats 3rd gens for ya ya should have got a 2sd gen then only 99 for 6 months lol
        Only, he says.....
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

is it you that had the wrong document because they think the car was made at the same time the car was imported?
          there must be a mistake on your log book then surely? cant you get the log book ammended?
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
            Only, he says.....
            I can remember when road tax was £80 for the year...

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
              is it you that had the wrong document because they think the car was made at the same time the car was imported?
              there must be a mistake on your log book then surely? cant you get the log book ammended?
              it was me and yes they ammended the log book and gave me a refund, so dont know whats happened since, i guess its a computar error

Comment

How much?

I'm a bit confused here. DVLA site suggests amount of road tax depends on vehicle registration date rather than date of vehicle manufacture. However Mackay Trading in Edinburgh ( http://www.mackaytrading.com ) are advertising all their 4x4 imports at £180 per annum - because they're pre-2001. Wrote to them... "I am enquiring about the tax status of imported Surfs. The DVLA web site suggests that the road tax cost is based on when the vehicle is registered rather than when it is manufactured. Assuming you import these vehicles (and therefore register them) and any that are currently for sale will have been imported after 2006 how can the tax be only £180 per year?" Response... "Trust me its £180". Can anyone enlighten me?

Comment

Originally posted by tavvi
                  I'm a bit confused here. DVLA site suggests amount of road tax depends on vehicle registration date rather than date of vehicle manufacture. However Mackay Trading in Edinburgh ( http://www.mackaytrading.com ) are advertising all their 4x4 imports at £180 per annum - because they're pre-2001. Wrote to them... "I am enquiring about the tax status of imported Surfs. The DVLA web site suggests that the road tax cost is based on when the vehicle is registered rather than when it is manufactured. Assuming you import these vehicles (and therefore register them) and any that are currently for sale will have been imported after 2006 how can the tax be only £180 per year?" Response... "Trust me its £180". Can anyone enlighten me?
                  It's the date of manufacture

I had the same problem with my Sunbeam Alpine for tax exemption but won in the end reg after jan 73 but manufactured pre jan 71.

Cheers JB
                  www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Originally posted by tavvi

I think, When a truck/car is imported, Before its sent and when it arrives documents are sent ahead, Someone needs to fill out the details for the V5 slip.

If someone puts down as date of manufacture as date registered then bingo.... £180 tax. but if they put the actual date eg 1.12.07 down then it would be classed as an 07 car an taxed via emissions.

Its all down to paper work, If a dealer is doing it and knows what hes doing then you'll pay the correct road tax.

Thats sometimes why a '2005' surf on K plates will turn up on ebay. Its just a mistake on the V5 but the post office wont know that!!

Comment

you'll all get stung when the LEZ starts in london anyway!!
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                        you'll all get stung when the LEZ starts in london anyway!!

I had to Google that, was expecting something different though!

http://www.eminox.com/emissions/lez.shtml

Comment

that's not quite accurate, it also covers vans over 1.205t and camper vans!..

a lot of surfs are registered as camper vans to get round the SVA!!
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Just checked on the TfL website - Surfs are not covered by the LEZ, so no charges.

3rd Gens are also in the same RFL band as 2nd gens...
                            Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

The tax should be at the flat rate as the vehicle is manufactured BEFORE 2001. The new tax system goes on engine size and emissions. As they have no data for pre 2001 vehicles on emissions they tax at the flat rate.

Also the log book shows the manufacture date, and the registered date. It goes by the manufactured date. And states that the vehicle was used before the registered date.

Comment

Working...
                              X