Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks

Thinking about new shocks....
    it seems that the majority of peeps go for the pro comp.
    whats the diff between the 3000 & the 9000.
    I dont do that much off road but am looking for a ride somewhere in between the norm and hard setting

You'll want the 3000's then, the 9000's are a bit firm
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

people with piles go for the 3000
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

One set are designed for coil springs and the others are for leaf springs (according to ProComp) , I forget which is which now . But you would know if you fit the wrong ones as your spine will shatter with the ride .
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
          One set are designed for coil springs and the others are for leaf springs (according to ProComp) , I forget which is which now . But you would know if you fit the wrong ones as your spine will shatter with the ride .
          Really? Never knew that! 3000s are softer, so maybe best partnered with coils as they would match...

I've been thinking a lot about suspension lately, and think I would prefer a 'slower' shock? Something with slower rebound as the truck is a bit 'pitchy' in very rough stuff... You've rebuilt cars, any thoughts?
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

While not wanting to contridict people, basically 3000's are a stock replacement, 9000's are a upgraded option for firmer ride, especially good if have stuff in the back a lot, or running any sort of lift.

As far a Surfs are concerned, 3000's will do fine if you mostly have an empty truck, driving solo. If you have a body lift, lift springs, lots of kids etc, then the 9000's are a better option.

Better quality, therefore more money are TJM shocks, built a bit tougher and with a 3 year warrenty. Procomp shocks are roughly £40 each, TJM are around £70.

Rancho, OME, etc are also worth looking at, but harder to find, and not really any better than the TJM shocks IMHO.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              While not wanting to contridict people,
              Tony , you would know better then me son . I just went from the info I was given by Explorer UK when I made enquires before I did mine .
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

thanks for the info fellas

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  While not wanting to contridict people, basically 3000's are a stock replacement, 9000's are a upgraded option for firmer ride, especially good if have stuff in the back a lot, or running any sort of lift.

As far a Surfs are concerned, 3000's will do fine if you mostly have an empty truck, driving solo. If you have a body lift, lift springs, lots of kids etc, then the 9000's are a better option.

Better quality, therefore more money are TJM shocks, built a bit tougher and with a 3 year warrenty. Procomp shocks are roughly £40 each, TJM are around £70.

Rancho, OME, etc are also worth looking at, but harder to find, and not really any better than the TJM shocks IMHO.
                  Know anything about shock rates then Tony? (of course you do! )

I'd prefer something with a slower rebound rate than the 3000's on the back as, as you said, with no weight in there, its a bit pitchy on very bumpy ground (such as crossing ruts). Would 9000s be better, or would the stiffness hurt!? Do the TJMs offer a better ride? I prefer soft as I'm more concerned about decent offroad ride than cornering performance at roundabouts!
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

i've got 9000's on mine and there not that hard, in fact i ain't really noticed any diff

Comment

I've got the TJM XGS and for cruising they're great. Very stable, especially on country roads which can be a bit undulating. They are a little stiff especially where speed bumps are concerned. They would be ideal with a bit of weight (approx 100 - 150 Kg)) in the back though. I want to get a small caravan soon, so the ball weight combined with a bit of gear in the back will suit them perfectly I think. I also have the TJM 40mm raised springs which are a thicker than factory spring.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                      X