Surf v Landcruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf v Landcruiser

I have often wondered why Toyota sell the Surf in some countries and the Landcruiser in others. After all they are a similar size and would seem to do a similar job.
    Does anyone know what the essential differences are and why they should have chosen to sell the Landcruiser here. Do they sell the Landcruiser in Japan. If not, why not?
    So many questions but do we have any answers?

Keith

Originally posted by Keith
    I have often wondered why Toyota sell the Surf in some countries and the Landcruiser in others. After all they are a similar size and would seem to do a similar job.
    Does anyone know what the essential differences are and why they should have chosen to sell the Landcruiser here. Do they sell the Landcruiser in Japan. If not, why not?
    So many questions but do we have any answers?

Keith
    Landcruiser is a Prado in Japan, they sell the landcruiser along side the surf/4Runner in other countries, they are different class of vehicle, the cruiser is bigger/heavier.

Look at UK 'cruisers, the LandCruiser Amazon is a full size Landcruiser, and the normal Land Cruiser (was called a Colerado, dunno if it still is ) is a Surf size one, it shares the same floorplan as Surfs/Runners.

Personally I prefer a 4Runner/Surf to a normal Landcruiser but the Amazon is 'da bomb'

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Here in Australia I think the Prado has the same engine and chassis as the later model Surfs.One of the reasons for Toyota putting a halt to the import of Surfs.The Surf is better looking than both.

Neville

Comment

Sorry but I always thought that the Prado was the Colorado, just different names for different markets. I know that the 3rd Gen. surf has the same chassis, and gearbox, and probably lots of other bits too, as the Colorado/Prado.
        John
        http://members.dodo.com.au/burston/drinkofbeer.gifA pint of lunatic soup please!

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Surfer
          Sorry but I always thought that the Prado was the Colorado, just different names for different markets. I know that the 3rd Gen. surf has the same chassis, and gearbox, and probably lots of other bits too, as the Colorado/Prado.
          John

Yep the Prado is the Colorado. Prado is sold in Japan, India, Middle East etc, Colorado is the UK model name for the same car.

It is a bit more complicated further back, the Landcruiser 2 was also sold as the Prado and was powered by 2.4 engine. The Prado and Colorado of later vintages are all 3.0 but have the same chassis as the Surf but I'm not sure if the floorpan is the same.

The Latest Landcruiser is the replacement for the Colorado / Prado. The Landcruiser Amazon is the latest in a long line of the bigger LC (logical replacement for the large 4.2 engined FJ 80 series.

Cheers

Comment

So does this mean lots of bits are interchangeable ??

Can we compile a list, as there's bound to be lots more old busted Cruisers in the UK than Surfs..... so who's gonna start the comparison chart for us ?
            [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Originally posted by Ems and Jim

Can we compile a list, as there's bound to be lots more old busted Cruisers in the UK than Surfs..... so who's gonna start the comparison chart for us ?
              I know that the bearings,disc pads and probably discs and calipers are the same as landcruiser on my '92 - 2.4.When I purchased the bearings and pads (non genuine) they were listed as landcruiser.

Neville
              Last edited by NiftyNev; 1 March 2004, 10:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Ems and Jim

I think the LC2 runs the 2LT engine so that should be pretty much interchangeable although some ancilliaries will be different. The 3.0 later Colorado and Prado I think runs the same engine as the 3rd Gen surf with the addition of the Intercooler which is only fitted to later 3rd gens I think.

Rear axles can be swopped in - they give you disc brakes.

Front suspension is coil so no good for the 2nd gens.

Not sure about anything else but i'm sure that a lot of the switchgear would probably fit.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X