Aerial on a switch??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerial on a switch??

I had a thought the other day, having snapped off 4 aerials so far, would it be good to get the auto aerial wire from the stereo, and feed it to a switch on the dash, so that if you are offroad and want to listed to CDs or something, but not the radio, you could have the stereo on, but the aerial stays down - then when you want to listen to the radio, flick the switch and the aerial comes up.......
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

mine does that automatcially, I can play a CD and have the aerial down. Not sure how it works got someone else to do it
    Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos
      mine does that automatcially, I can play a CD and have the aerial down. Not sure how it works got someone else to do it

Flash git!

Comment

my stereo in car does that on its own soon as i switch to radio ariel comes up on its own

Comment

might be to easy but would it not just be a case of putting a switch on the live wire to the aerial?? or do you think it would require relays etc?

Comment

Just a switch, easy-peasy. Mine, like Mud's does it automatically.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

The arial is supposed to go down when the CD is on, most do, but some lower end radios don't have a different feed for the arial and the rear amps.

Just snip the power arial wire at the back of the radio, and fit a switch. I've done a few.

My 1st gen actually has a factory fitted switch for the arial, but them we all know they are uber cool and built tough!!!
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

My 1st gen actually has a factory fitted switch for the arial, but them we all know they are uber cool and built tough!!!
                Yeah, and you have to be tough and eat raw meat, and operate the switch with a rubber mallet - nay, a 2lb hammer! RAAAARRRRHHHGHHH!!!!!

Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler
                  might be to easy but would it not just be a case of putting a switch on the live wire to the aerial?? or do you think it would require relays etc?
                  Not as simple as that. Both wires are live at some time depending on if the aerial is going up or down. There's only two wires to aerial and polarity is switched during operation.

Nev

Comment

If I remember correctly there is a blue wire in the factory radio and speaker harness that you can cut and splice in a switch. Search the aussie site for "Blue wire"

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
                      I had a thought the other day, having snapped off 4 aerials so far, would it be good to get the auto aerial wire from the stereo, and feed it to a switch on the dash, so that if you are offroad and want to listed to CDs or something, but not the radio, you could have the stereo on, but the aerial stays down - then when you want to listen to the radio, flick the switch and the aerial comes up.......

Fit a roof aerial or 'bee sting' type. S'wot I did!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                        Fit a roof aerial or 'bee sting' type. S'wot I did!
                        Hmmmm - may do that when the snorkel goes on....

Comment

Think it's a red with green stripe wire on the original loom you need to put the switch in, can't remember for sure though. If you can find the wiring colour chart it's power antennae 1 you want.
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

Yup I can confirm that some stereos pull it down for CD, others don't.

My horrid JDM carriozera has it up all the time.... I did once wire a toggle switch to one, as someone said there are two live wires, I just used the one off the headunits loom, once the antenna was up, I needed to turn the radio off to lower it, but with it set to "disarm" when I tuend it on and went straight to CD the antenna stayed down... I never listen to the radio anyway...

I am tempted with a Beesting, I hate mast antennas.... but I just put the headlining back in.... D'oh!
                            More Lift.
                            More Tyres.
                            More Engine.

Comment

I cheated.
                              Took it to Tony and got him to fit roof rails, CB aerial, and radio Aerial, all in one fitting.
                              Tony did refer to it as Sonic as I was leaving.
                              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
                              X