same old head,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• same old head,

hi all.iv been after a surf for a long time, i get one from good old ebay, the first week ok then heard gurgling from expansion bottle, water level ok, next day water poured out of expansion bottle, now in garage head of skimmed put back still doing it, 4 weeks now help

Originally posted by caney
    hi all.iv been after a surf for a long time, i get one from good old ebay, the first week ok then heard gurgling from expansion bottle, water level ok, next day water poured out of expansion bottle, now in garage head of skimmed put back still doing it, 4 weeks now help
    Sounds like your gonna have to get a new Head.
    2.4 or 3litre ? you dont say.
    Trust your Hound.

Comment

for starters you could put you vehicle details up so we know what we are dealing with.

Did the garage crack test the head, i bet they didn't!

(correct me if i'm wrong) I don't think there has been many instances of warped heads or blocks..... cracked heads is another thing!
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

same old head

sorry chaps, its a 2.4 1992, garage taking head back to skimmers to have it checked again

Comment

I will find it very hard to believe a warped block, unless you have been using it to cast pistons!!! Cast Iron is hard as nails. It seems to me that you have a cracked head. Skimming the head won't make any difference, garages generally do that when the gasket goes. These engines are cursed with cracked head problems, to the point that if you own a 2.4 your virtually guaranteed one. I own a 3.0lt and that one went as well, there seem to be a lot more 3.0lt engines suffering the same problem.

A gushing header tank is a sure sign the head has gone, same symptoms as mine. Get one from Stevo (they are cheaper for a 2.4) and problem solved. I might be wrong, but with the Surfs track record on heads I doubt it.

Put some more details of your truck up too.

Andy

Comment

i think the chap saw me coming when i bought this surf it looked cool 33inch ally wheels red just wot i wanted, now find no viscous fan, hes put a electric fan on back of rad, temp gauge always sat just under halfway line, waiting to here from garage bet ur right head gone

Comment

i think the chap saw me coming when i bought this surf it looked cool 33inch ally wheels red just wot i wanted, now find no viscous fan, hes put a electric fan on back of rad, temp gauge always sat just under halfway line, waiting to here from garage bet ur right head gone

Just the electric fan won't be enough, you really need the viscous fan fitted.

Don't expect the garage to come back with good news, it'll be the head thats cracked.

Comment

What did the guy ACTUALLY say on the ebay add?? It seems to me he definitely knew of the problem before selling the vehicle. The temp gauge sounds dodgy and no fan??? If he has misled you on selling the vehicle, then go to trading standards, as if the vehicle isn't how it was described in the add, then I would be chasing him up for the money to fix the truck.

If the garage say the head has gone, then get them to get one from Stevo, don't take the chance of a $$$$y cheap aftermarket head. keep us posted.

Comment

allready got stevos number, on his ebay ad he said good engine only done 40 thou miles on replacment engine, i have emailed him and wrote to him no reply, i think i will go to cit advice cheers

Comment

allready got stevos number, on his ebay ad he said good engine only done 40 thou miles on replacment engine, i have emailed him and wrote to him no reply, i think i will go to cit advice cheers

How long have you had the truck. Problems do happen. My mate sold a guy a Lightweight and on the way home the engine blew, but my mate refunded half the money he got for it.

I know that buying privately you have less rights, but as far as I am aware, if you knowingly sell a vehicle with problems and say this it is something it is not, then you can take legal action. Go to CA and ask them where you stand, but make sure you see the solicitor on call, not one of the volunteers. You might be able to take him to the small claims court. He definitely knew about this problem. Did the garage find any signs of block sealant in the engine or coolant??

Comment

got mota in july this year, no block sealant found, he only got mota feb this year, he didant even bother to send of the change of owner slip, big problem, o joy

Comment

got mota in july this year, no block sealant found, he only got mota feb this year, he didant even bother to send of the change of owner slip, big problem, o joy

Thats a 1000 quid fine right there if you let DVLA know about it!

Comment

you sure he aint a dealer ,pavement dealers dont like there name on slip
                          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

do your self a favour and make sure the garage knows what they are doing,make sure they know how to burp the cooling system on the surf.if they knew what they were doing they would of crack tested the block first of all.so it sound like they have never worked on one before.but better to check.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X