Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by servechilled
    Cheers All!
    Think I'm gonna fit in okay here as long as no-one minds my utter uslessness when it comes to tech knowledge!

@ M35A2. I'm RAMC in Munster! Love the city, hate the unit, but you never get the both perfect I suppose!

Just chatted to the blokie who is checking my truck out and doing the repairs and he recons that the thermostat has gone, causing the engine to overheat when I drove to the UK asap for a funeral a month previous, the overheating has bust the cylinder head gasket causing the oil leakage... anyone concur? Also... (ANOTHER ALSO!?!?) I've notice a watery sloshing sound when I accellerate recently... I have 100% no idea what that is at all...
    water in the ear!

i'll get me coat
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Cheers All!
      Think I'm gonna fit in okay here as long as no-one minds my utter uslessness when it comes to tech knowledge!

@ M35A2. I'm RAMC in Munster! Love the city, hate the unit, but you never get the both perfect I suppose!

Just chatted to the blokie who is checking my truck out and doing the repairs and he recons that the thermostat has gone, causing the engine to overheat when I drove to the UK asap for a funeral a month previous, the overheating has bust the cylinder head gasket causing the oil leakage... anyone concur? Also... (ANOTHER ALSO!?!?) I've notice a watery sloshing sound when I accellerate recently... I have 100% no idea what that is at all...
      you must have literally filled your boots!!!

Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Cheers All!

Hello again Servechilled, so your a CMT yeah?? They are short of those in the Army, did you get press ganged into it, or did you want to do it?? My experience of CMT's especially in NI was that they lived quite a charmed life, slipper city old boy!!

If the thermostat failed it would have had to have failed shut, so that the engine coolant wouldn't circulate around the engine. This would make the engine overheat pretty quickly. How long was you driving for before it went?

If the cylinder head has gone there is a good chance that there is oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. Does the oil dip stick tube blow out steam when you take the dipstick out? Oil leakage, where is it going??

My guess is that it's a cylinder head that has cracked. You have to take into account that it's a 2.4 Surf engine, any other car and I would suspect the gasket, but this is a Surf and they are terrible for cracked heads. The only way to find out is to pressure test the head to be sure. They usually go by the valve seats. You have to remove the head anyway, so why not have a look. Stevo or Toyota are the only places to go for a replacement head.

Comment

The heads usually crack between the valves, so water in the oil or vice versa wouldn't show. The way to check is to do a 'sniffer' test using a coloured dye to check for exhaust gasses in the coolant.

Signs of oil in the coolant, (rainbow effect) could be the oil cooler gasket failure, it's behind the oil filter.

Comment

Aye, not too sure about slipper city, but all depends on where you are... skive to survive? Now thats an ethos I can appreciate!

Cylider head! Arrggh! I heard this before I bought one, but at the time I didn't have the £££ for a 3.0 and the 2.4 I got was very sexy. Think its got a 2" lift, almost perfect body, new exhaust and nice Recaro interior. Paid just under £2.5k because the tax had run out and so had his insurance, previous buyer fell through blah blah...

Again, bit thing like new cylider head, sent to Germany? Hope my VM buddies can do the job, else its to the Toyota dealer down the way...

Stevo? I seen his name mentioned with some reverence... who is he?
            Always in the sh*t! Depth: Various.

Comment

Aye, not too sure about slipper city, but all depends on where you are... skive to survive? Now thats an ethos I can appreciate!

Cylider head! Arrggh! I heard this before I bought one, but at the time I didn't have the £££ for a 3.0 and the 2.4 I got was very sexy. Think its got a 2" lift, almost perfect body, new exhaust and nice Recaro interior. Paid just under £2.5k because the tax had run out and so had his insurance, previous buyer fell through blah blah...

Again, bit thing like new cylider head, sent to Germany? Hope my VM buddies can do the job, else its to the Toyota dealer down the way...

Stevo? I seen his name mentioned with some reverence... who is he?

Stevo owns the Engine Company Services LTD. He supplies brand new heads for Surfs, but they come complete with an exchange cam/valves/buckets etc and also the gasket kit and head bolts. basically it's a new head all ready fitted with cam shaft etc. You have all the parts to do the job, just take the old one off and replace with the new one.

I got my 3.0lt head off him, cost me £899 Inc VAT and carriage. So far so good. Mine is a genuine Toyota head, not sure if he supplies genuine 2.4 heads, but loads of people have bought off him with no problems. Think he does genuine and non genuine heads. Tried to get the link but it's not working. I think his 2.4 heads are about £700 inc. Not a bad price to get your pride and joy back on the road.

here is his number

0161-476-6144 ask for Stevo. he is based in Portwood, Stockport, Cheshire.

Comment

Cheers Mate!

Didn't expect so much help so quick! I'd be over the moon if it was my toaster or something thats busted, but since its my truck I'm just holding my breath to find out what the problem is... will try all the things everyone has mentioned and from what I can gather go on to replace the head!

Could be worse, I guess, I could be letting the wife drive!!!

Comment

Cheers Mate!

Didn't expect so much help so quick! I'd be over the moon if it was my toaster or something thats busted, but since its my truck I'm just holding my breath to find out what the problem is... will try all the things everyone has mentioned and from what I can gather go on to replace the head!

Could be worse, I guess, I could be letting the wife drive!!!

If you let your wife drive, you could end up like this.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ght=wife+drive

I know how you feel mate, I've sent £3,000 on mine. New head, new rear shocks, new radiator, new starter motor contacts, new drive shaft gaiters, front discs, pads, cam belt, belt tensioner, pulley, thermostat the list goes on and on. But the trouble is, I've spent so much on it, it's not worth selling, as I'd loose so much money, so I have to keep going. I'm hoping that now it's going to be OK with all this stuff changed.

You might be lucky and the only thing that needs doing is the head. Once that's done then engine should go for years. Might be worth giving Stevo a call to just ask how much it would cost. Why don't you get it posted to your parents address and pick it up from there. There must be some guys at your unit that live near your parents and go home regular? Ask around. You need to send the old head back though with your camshaft etc still on it. He gives you as long as you want to do the job before a courier picks it up.

Comment

I was very tempted to send it into Toyota and let them do all the work while I'm away... but I'm not that rich or silly. I need someone to fix it up and pimp it while I'm sat in Basra getting bombed... anyone takes up the offer and I'll send em' monthly cash injections for repairs and a gurantee that its yours if I get wasted

Any takers? lol

Comment

There's a guy on here TonyN in Basingstoke, good for head repairs and off road beef and bling www.4x4toys.co.uk I could be in marketing me lol
                      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

welcome to the mad house
                        =========
                        =SOLD UP!=
                        =========

Comment

Hello n Welcome to the Mad world of Surfdom Bud, Not all of us have probs like M35A2.... (some 2.4's did have Faulty Heads) My trucks gotta charmed life obviously as in 6 Years it's only cost me approx £600 squid to wreck n Maintain !!!!
                          Enjoy the wealth of Info available from all of us on here, maybe not all about Trucks but somebody knows the answer, normally Bushwacker !!!!
                          KEEP YA HEAD DOWN BUDDY....

There's always a Payback ... Ya just won't see it Comin !!!!
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Surferjess
                            Hello n Welcome to the Mad world of Surfdom Bud, Not all of us have probs like M35A2.... (some 2.4's did have Faulty Heads) My trucks gotta charmed life obviously as in 6 Years it's only cost me approx £600 squid to wreck n Maintain !!!!
                            Enjoy the wealth of Info available from all of us on here, maybe not all about Trucks but somebody knows the answer, normally Bushwacker !!!!
                            KEEP YA HEAD DOWN BUDDY....

There's always a Payback ... Ya just won't see it Comin !!!!

Tell me about it. I must have the worlds most unreliable Surf. I'm hoping it's turned the corner now. I know one thing, when I sell it, whoever buys it is going to have an immacuately maintained, virtually all parts replaced Surf.....

Comment

Welcome to the nut house ..........just watch out for the squirrel

Stevo or tony would be your best bets

Stevo is up north.....http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31802

and tony is down south......http://www.4x4toys.co.uk/

Tony also does mods like suspension and body lifts and lots more
                              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Hi Gaz and welcome - I can see the experts have already greeted you and given some advice - there are some really great, knowledgeable people on this forum - then there's me!!!
                                Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Working...
                                X