Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new!

Howdy All!

Just a quick note to say Hi and introduce mesself really. I got a 2.4 SSR-X early this year and loved it. Drove it to Germany from Liverpool, Dover - Calais route a few times and love it. Having a few prob's over heating, oil leakage and a few others little bits and bobs. I'm off to Iraq soon and so the cash I'm saving will give the old girl a face lift and a fix up... I don't want another truck, I love my Surf. I'm completely new to the 4x4 thing and am 99% clueless when it comes to engines etc so I'm hoping for a few pointers from you guru's out there. Any pointers/advice will be most gratefully recieved!

All the best,

Gaz.

Oh, I almost forgot, apparently my turbo is on the way out. There was oil in the air intake pipe from the turbo... anyone know of this?
    Last edited by servechilled; 18 October 2007, 11:58.
    Always in the sh*t! Depth: Various.

Welcome to the club servechilled.

Don't know about your turbo but everyone on here is very helpfull & full of surf wisdom. Know its saved me time & money.

Enjoy,

Martin.
    Which Wychwood would you choose?

Comment

Hi mate, hello and welcome. There are a lot of ex-service guys on this site, like myself. Owning a Surf can be an expensive business, I should know I've had to spend £3,000 in two years on mine, but they are a good truck. I think once all the neglected Jap problems have been sorted they should be OK.

If you put in the search bar on this or the mechanical section the problem you are having, 8/10 times you will see another post about it.

Oh, and a bit of advice from an ex squaddie, DONT SIGN OFF. Your a lot better in than out, civvy street is sh*t.

All the best dude.

Andy

Comment

Whoa! This place rocks! Two replies already!

Aye, Andy, know what you mean, I'm sticking it out till at least my 12 year point. Even though it's a bit dog sh*t 90% of the time I can't complain too much. My main drama though is that i'm in Germany, and while I can get the lads down in the LAD to do the mechanic work I'm stuck if I need heavy or bulky items over here as postage will be mental!!!

I'm a proper newbie to the idea of fixing trucks as all my previous motors were brand new tax free... married and with 2nd nipper inbound... thats all stopped now!

Comment

Originally posted by servechilled
          Howdy All!

Oh, I almost forgot, apparently my turbo is on the way out. There was oil in the air intake pipe from the turbo... anyone know of this?
          Howdy Gaz

Welcome to the nut house.

plenty of info on here, I would say if you can't find the answer here that it is not worth knowing about!

Who told you the turbo is on the way out, from what I see it will be difficult to tell from just the prescence of oil as the crankcase breather blows straight into the intake pipe to the turbo so It will have oil there.

TonyN is the Expert so I'm sure he'll correct me if i'm wrong!!

Gazzer
          Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Howdy All!

Just a quick note to say Hi and introduce mesself really. I got a 2.4 SSR-X early this year and loved it. Drove it to Germany from Liverpool, Dover - Calais route a few times and love it. Having a few prob's over heating, oil leakage and a few others little bits and bobs. I'm off to Iraq soon and so the cash I'm saving will give the old girl a face lift and a fix up... I don't want another truck, I love my Surf. I'm completely new to the 4x4 thing and am 99% clueless when it comes to engines etc so I'm hoping for a few pointers from you guru's out there. Any pointers/advice will be most gratefully recieved!

All the best,

Gaz.

Welcome Gaz, nice to see a fully paid up member, and their first post too!!

Re: your turbo/oil problem.

It's usually just oil vapour from the engine breather on the rocker cover, that has condensed and collected in the intake tubes over a period of time. They just need removing and a good clean out.

Comment

my turbo pipes get coated in oil all the time. i cleaned mine out but the oil comes back. im not loosing oil that much. i never need to top it up between oil changes at all, the level hardly moves.
              as long as the turbines arnt moving exessively you should be ok i would have thought? my turbines move left to right about 1mm (complete guess) but the turbine blades dont touch the turbo casing so im not bothered.

if you let it warm up before using the turbo, and let it tick over to cool back down before switching off, it will help an ageing turbo, and will keep a new turbo in good condition.

welcome to the forum
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Whoa! This place rocks! Two replies already!

Aye, Andy, know what you mean, I'm sticking it out till at least my 12 year point. Even though it's a bit dog sh*t 90% of the time I can't complain too much. My main drama though is that i'm in Germany, and while I can get the lads down in the LAD to do the mechanic work I'm stuck if I need heavy or bulky items over here as postage will be mental!!!

I'm a proper newbie to the idea of fixing trucks as all my previous motors were brand new tax free... married and with 2nd nipper inbound... thats all stopped now!

Where abouts in Germany are you? I was posted to Guttersloh for a while, been to most of the German bases. What are you, Inf, REME, RA, RLC??

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Welcome Gaz, nice to see a fully paid up member, and their first post too!!

Re: your turbo/oil problem.

It's usually just oil vapour from the engine breather on the rocker cover, that has condensed and collected in the intake tubes over a period of time. They just need removing and a good clean out.
                  oh yea i forgot about the breather. i removed mine and put a breather filter on the pipe. now i get oil all over the side of the engine. my turbo pipes still get coated in oil though. bit of lube never hurt
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                    Where abouts in Germany are you? I was posted to Guttersloh for a while, been to most of the German bases. What are you, Inf, REME, RA, RLC??

AA, rac, greenflag, Brittania?

Comment

welcome dude,

whatever you do,if you need any advice DONT ask me!!

any technical advice,do a thourgh search of the site and then ask bushwacker!!!

keep safe in that army place
                      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

hello, not good with the technical side of the surf myself. But welcome to the forum
                        Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                          welcome dude,

whatever you do,if you need any advice DONT ask me!!

any technical advice,do a thourgh search of the site and then ask bushwacker!!!

keep safe in that army place
                          i try and give advice, but dont reeallly know what im going on about.
                          but i try anyway, and its the thought that counts. but dont attempt to use that excuse on your misses when you didnt get her that present on time
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            AA, rac, greenflag, Brittania?

Comment

Cheers All!
                              Think I'm gonna fit in okay here as long as no-one minds my utter uslessness when it comes to tech knowledge!

@ M35A2. I'm RAMC in Munster! Love the city, hate the unit, but you never get the both perfect I suppose!

Just chatted to the blokie who is checking my truck out and doing the repairs and he recons that the thermostat has gone, causing the engine to overheat when I drove to the UK asap for a funeral a month previous, the overheating has bust the cylinder head gasket causing the oil leakage... anyone concur? Also... (ANOTHER ALSO!?!?) I've notice a watery sloshing sound when I accellerate recently... I have 100% no idea what that is at all...

Comment

Working...
                              X