cr@p brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cr@p brakes

i remember there is always a thread somewhere about someone moaning about how $$$$ the brakes are in their surf. and i have always agreed. but not anymore.
    a little while after i got my surf i decided to have brake fluid changed, and the pads/discs checked and changed if needed.
    so fluid was done, and new pads on the front is all i had.
    this helped a bit, and i noticed the difference but it was not really considered good. the pedal stiffness had improved, but was nothing like other cars i had owned. i kep checking the pedal by pressing on it as hard as i could to see if it would go to the floor, usually while i was bored at red lights or waiting for someone..
    so on our way back from Nice, France, i lost the brakes all together. fluid had leaked constantly from the brake compensator which is in the back, until i had no fluid left in the resevoir. luckily we found a manned petrol station around lyon that had brake fluid to keep us going. i was planning on driving back to calais with the hand brake even if we didnt find anything anyway.

so when i gets back my uncles garage inspects the problem and orders the part from toyota main dealer as he said he couldnt get it from his usual places.
    ever since this has been done my brakes have been excellent. the pedal travel before you feel the truck slowing down is tiny, then a bit more and there is a bite. this has been done for months now and it still feels the same. its almost like any new car you would drive, and they are not cr@p at all any more.

im wondering if anyone else has had their compensator changed and noticed this massive improvement?
    it must have been weak anyway for it to give way after that pressure of me standing on the pedal like that. but i havnt done it again since ive had this new part just in case they are weak anyway and i break it again.
    part cost £80 i think not sure
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Ive not had mine changed, ive got new pads/discs/shoes all round and that was a much better improvement.

If its £80 to get the brakes sh!t hot.... might be worth looking into!

Comment

Just replaced all the fluid in my brakes for Toyota DOT 5.1, replaced the front discs and brand new pads, all Toyota genuine parts. Replaced the two securing pins, pin clip, anti-rattle spring, pad backing plates.

I have noticed a dramatic improvement in performance, but I think replacement of the rears will improve even better. Is this valve the one that is attached above the rear axle, the load compensation valve, with the rod attached and a bleed nipple??

I might consider replacing this too after I get the money to do the rear shoes.

What makes you sick is the fact that a Frontera has discs all round, as does a Land Rover, but even when you look at the new Toyota's, even the 3.0lt pickups, they still have sh*t drum brakes on the rears. Such a pain in the ar*e to change and $$$$ with it.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
        Just replaced all the fluid in my brakes for Toyota DOT 5.1, replaced the front discs and brand new pads, all Toyota genuine parts. Replaced the two securing pins, pin clip, anti-rattle spring, pad backing plates.

I have noticed a dramatic improvement in performance, but I think replacement of the rears will improve even better. Is this valve the one that is attached above the rear axle, the load compensation valve, with the rod attached and a bleed nipple??

I might consider replacing this too after I get the money to do the rear shoes.

What makes you sick is the fact that a Frontera has discs all round, as does a Land Rover, but even when you look at the new Toyota's, even the 3.0lt pickups, they still have sh*t drum brakes on the rears. Such a pain in the ar*e to change and $$$$ with it.
        there must be a benefit over those massive drums compared to disks?
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
          there must be a benefit over those massive drums compared to disks?

If there is I can't see any, can you? Disc's are far better than drums in my opinion. They are a lot better at braking, easy to change the pads, just loads better.

Mind you, unless they had a transmission brake, they would have to have those horrible brake caliper set ups where the handbrake is integral and you need special tools to wind the pistons back in.

Comment

with all the recent mods,one thing i had done was extended,braided brake hoses.these alone have made the most supreme difference,i suppose by not allowing the hose to flex and concentrating the effort down to the brakes.i would reccomend this mod to everyone
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
              with all the recent mods,one thing i had done was extended,braided brake hoses.these alone have made the most supreme difference,i suppose by not allowing the hose to flex and concentrating the effort down to the brakes.i would reccomend this mod to everyone

How much did yours set you back and where did you get them from??

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200

Glad to see you reccomend them! Ive got a set for putting on when i put on the lift.

Comment

Working...
                X