Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new but.......

Hello everyone

I have had my 1992/93(Debate going on here) 2.4TD SSR-X for 2 months now and so far have been really pleased with my purchase.

Yesterday, I finally got round to flushing the radiator and changing the thermostat. Took a while but finally managed it in about 3 hours.

Whilst down there, I seemed to have found a few things that I wasn't prepared to see.

Firstly, when I removed the bash plate to get access to the botton of the radiator, I found another radiator fitted horizontally where the bash plate was. It also had 2X8" fans fitted. I also latter noticed that there was a similar sized fan fitted extra to the main radiator.

Could someone shed some light on what this radiator and fans are for? and do they work on their own or do I need to do something with them. Also, does this drain out aswell from the main radiator drain tap or do I need to find it's own one?

Also, when I refilled the main radiator I used about 6 litres of water/coolant mix is this right or should I have put some more in.

Another question: From a link on specs for my vehicle it says the top speed should be about 180km/h. I have only ever had about 137km/h and the speedo only goes up to 140km/h. Am I missing out on something?

And what the hell is Electronic Diesel Control? I have seen that my 2LT-E is supposed to have it, but what actually is it?

Oh and do I have ABS as a link suggest my model should have?

Thanks for listerning.

Typsey

Typsey,

Welcome to the forum!!!

I can help with the Bottom rad question. It is known as your air-con condenser. It is expensive to replace so be carefull with it.

Good to get in before all the people who know what they are talking about. I will let them explain the cooling etc..

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by The Typsey Russell
      Hello everyone

I have had my 1992/93(Debate going on here) 2.4TD SSR-X for 2 months now and so far have been really pleased with my purchase.

Yesterday, I finally got round to flushing the radiator and changing the thermostat. Took a while but finally managed it in about 3 hours.

Whilst down there, I seemed to have found a few things that I wasn't prepared to see.

Firstly, when I removed the bash plate to get access to the botton of the radiator, I found another radiator fitted horizontally where the bash plate was. It also had 2X8" fans fitted. I also latter noticed that there was a similar sized fan fitted extra to the main radiator.

Could someone shed some light on what this radiator and fans are for? and do they work on their own or do I need to do something with them. Also, does this drain out aswell from the main radiator drain tap or do I need to find it's own one?

Also, when I refilled the main radiator I used about 6 litres of water/coolant mix is this right or should I have put some more in.

Another question: From a link on specs for my vehicle it says the top speed should be about 180km/h. I have only ever had about 137km/h and the speedo only goes up to 140km/h. Am I missing out on something?

And what the hell is Electronic Diesel Control? I have seen that my 2LT-E is supposed to have it, but what actually is it?

Oh and do I have ABS as a link suggest my model should have?

Thanks for listerning.

Typsey
      Typsey.

Ok here goes.

1.The Radiator under the bash plate is the Air Con rad.
      2.The top speed on a 2.4 is supposedly about 92mph. I think the link you saw is the one from sportsluxurycars which I am pretty sure is wrong. I think the used the specs from the V6 petrol.
      3. Electronic diesel control is the EFI on the 2LTE. This is Electronic Fuel injection where the fuel injection is fully control by the engine management computer (ECU) using an electronic throttle control and fuel pump which varies the fuel injection depending on conditions. The 2LT is a engine driven pump which just varies the fuel injection depending on throttle position. The ECU on the 2LTE also alters injection timing depending on load etc, the non EFI motor uses non electronic means to do similar things. (this is laymans terms cos I'm no diesel engineer.

By the way, welcome to the Forum, I'm sure you will find lots of info here from a bunch of fully committed and certifyable Surf nutters.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks guys.

Since my initial post I have completed a search on the second radiator and managed to work out that it is for the air-con.

The thing that is worrying me is that I only got about 5.5 litres of coolant/water mix into my radiator.

I am sure that I drained it completely (about 5 .5 litres) and then flushed it, then refilled it through the top radiator cap (not expansion tank), but have seen several posts where people are talking about 9 or 10 litres!! Have I done something wrong?

Please help if you can.

Typsey.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Since my initial post I have completed a search on the second radiator and managed to work out that it is for the air-con.

The thing that is worrying me is that I only got about 5.5 litres of coolant/water mix into my radiator.

I am sure that I drained it completely (about 5 .5 litres) and then flushed it, then refilled it through the top radiator cap (not expansion tank), but have seen several posts where people are talking about 9 or 10 litres!! Have I done something wrong?

Please help if you can.

Typsey.
          the cooling system holds 9.2 litres, you probably didnt drain the engine and heater rads
          [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
          [size=5][/size]
          [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

There is also the water sitting in the engine block and the pipes. That will make up the other 5 or so litres. There is a plug on the passenger side on the engine block that the engine water will drain from. Very hard to get at. Only reason i found it was the extra room from my body lift!
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
            [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Thanks guys.

Please help if you can.

Typsey.
              Did you have the front and rear heaters set to red (open)???

Phil

Comment

I did have the heaters on red.

Just found out that my Surf is on a recall list for dodgy heads. Is there anything that I can do to pre-empt any future problems?

Am pXXXed that I didn't do it properly.

Is there anywhere (with pictures) that can show me how to do it properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H
                  Did you have the front and rear heaters set to red (open)???

Phil
                  disconnect one of the heater pipes from just below the rad cap, take off the bottom hose from the rad, open both the heaters then put a hose into the heater pipe you disconnected, turn it on and this will flush all the engine & heaters, pipes etc, without draining the engine, look here http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/coolant.htm
                  [size=5][/size]
                  [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Thank you very much.

Any ideas about the head problem?

Oh and that was the thread that I was following but has no mention of doing anything else than what I have done.

Typsey
                    Last edited by The Typsey Russell; 15 September 2003, 13:13.

Comment

Thank you very much.

Any ideas about the head problem?
                      Typsey.

Koi's been trying to get somewhere on this recently. It seems that the head recalls were according to Toyota, a local recall in Japan and not a global recall. They don't seem to want to honour recalls outside of Japan as the Surfs we have here are Imports.

If you have a look this thread, you'll see some more about it.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/showthread.php?t=18

I think in terms of preventative maintenance, doing a good flush, making sure the thermostat is OK, rad is not leaking and is clean of any external debris is probably the best you can do. You may want to get the cooling system pressure tested just to make sure that you don't already have a cracked head. I am pretty sure that mine was cracked on import however it took a year to go bad enough to cause problems. Pretty sure that Koi's was the same having looked at it.

Cheers and good luck

Comment

Just a quick thought.........

What happen's if the head goes and I replace it? Is it likely to go again? Is it going to be an ongoing problem that will need to be sorted out every year or so?

Typsey

Comment

Just a quick thought.........

What happen's if the head goes and I replace it? Is it likely to go again? Is it going to be an ongoing problem that will need to be sorted out every year or so?

Typsey
                          Supposedly the new heads have a redesign on the internal waterways that solves the problem. Hopefully I should be able to let you know in a year or so that this is correct - when mine has done a year.

Cheers

Comment

consinering that it takes about 10 years for the head to go in the first place a replacement should last at least the same and it should have a different gasget which seems to be the cause of the problem so it should be at least as good for the same length of time ,

as for max of 93mph , i got stopped on the m11 by the boys in blue who gave me a ticking off for doing 95! ohh er sorry mate i didnt think it would do that much ! it was not having any problems and i think that the only reason he let me off is i did drop down to 90 and got in ti the middle lane and it was not very busy.
                            so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

Originally posted by surffreak
                              consinering that it takes about 10 years for the head to go in the first place a replacement should last at least the same and it should have a different gasget which seems to be the cause of the problem so it should be at least as good for the same length of time ,

as for max of 93mph , i got stopped on the m11 by the boys in blue who gave me a ticking off for doing 95! ohh er sorry mate i didnt think it would do that much ! it was not having any problems and i think that the only reason he let me off is i did drop down to 90 and got in ti the middle lane and it was not very busy.
                              you was lucky to get off, if you were a football player on £80,000 a week they would have fined you £200, hit them where it hurts in the pocket
                              [size=5][/size]

Comment

Working...
                              X