No announcement yet.

I'm sure its been asked before, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure its been asked before, but....

Hey All, I'm sorry if I am repeating what is probably a very common question, but I've been through the forums and cant find a previous topic on this. So here goes...

I've been looking at the surfs for a long time, but not had the money to do much more than that But the time has come to put aside the need for food, heating, electricity etc and buy a surf instead

My question is kind of a simple, but I'm sure a long one - where do I start?! I know the surf's come in various models, and from what I've been reading here, my best bet is to find a 3.0 instead of the 2.4 (the extra power is nice and no head problems) and I think the SSRX is the top model? Does this include some nice toys like PAS, ABS etc? Also, I think I'm a bit confused on my gen's. I think its the 2nd gen that I like the look of - somewhere around L/M reg and the 3rd gen started about 1995/6, is that right?

Anyway, i've got a load of other questions, but any answers for the above would be greatly appreciated for the moment!

Originally posted by gregwho
    Hey All, I'm sorry if I am repeating what is probably a very common question, but I've been through the forums and cant find a previous topic on this. So here goes...

I've been looking at the surfs for a long time, but not had the money to do much more than that But the time has come to put aside the need for food, heating, electricity etc and buy a surf instead

My question is kind of a simple, but I'm sure a long one - where do I start?! I know the surf's come in various models, and from what I've been reading here, my best bet is to find a 3.0 instead of the 2.4 (the extra power is nice and no head problems) and I think the SSRX is the top model? Does this include some nice toys like PAS, ABS etc? Also, I think I'm a bit confused on my gen's. I think its the 2nd gen that I like the look of - somewhere around L/M reg and the 3rd gen started about 1995/6, is that right?

Anyway, i've got a load of other questions, but any answers for the above would be greatly appreciated for the moment!

Hello mate,

Spot on about the Generations. 2nd gen is 1990-1995, with a preface lift model out in 1989-1990ish!

top of the range is SSRG but, the options vary so much on these trucks its almost pointless going by them.

They all have power steering, ABS wasnt an option. The 3.0ltr can have head problems... but not much more then any regular car. a 2.4 thats had a changed head should be pretty reliable if your looking for a truck on a tighter budget! Any more questions, ask away mate!

Comment

sounds like you got your priorities right!
      SSRG is usually one up from SSRX but many had extra options anyway so dont go by the letters too much. All 2nd gens have PAS but none have ABS - 3rd gens (1996 on) do have ABS I think.

heres a nice 2nd gen pic for you!
      Attached Files
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by gregwho

Hi, and welcome.

You're not far off with most of the details.

SSR-G is the top spec, but the Japs being what they are most Surfs have lots of toys.

As far as I know, no 2nd gen has ABS, might have been an option on 3rd gens though.

Best bet might be to find a car you like the look of, and then get a local to come along and give it the once over with you. We're (mostly) a friendly bunch, so you should be able to find some assistance.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Hi mate and welcome!

I've got a 2 door 2nd gen coming onto the market next week - it's been offroad, needs some T cut, and a wash but does have....

The stuff on this list...post number 9

Make me a sensible offer and it's yours!
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

I didn't know the 2nd Gen doesn't have ABS - The 4Runner does though doesn't it?

If not, I've been living in ignorance for 3 years...

Comment

Originally posted by wahchild
              I didn't know the 2nd Gen doesn't have ABS - The 4Runner does though doesn't it?

If not, I've been living in ignorance for 3 years...

I think you've been living in ignorance

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach

Is that near North Allerton??
                Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
                  Is that near North Allerton??

you know i aint sure.... i always thought it was just outside of oxford.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                    I'm reading up in me book tonight! Though now I know the state of the suspension, it could explain the rumble during hard braking

Comment

Working...
                    X