Dead 4Runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead 4Runner

Just been for my MOT and found out that my suspension is going to cost me a lot of pain and money over the next few years so it looks like it's time to put the old truck out of it's misery.

Was wondering if anyone knows if I'll get a reasonable price from a s$$$$py, or how much I should be insisting on? (all my previous cars have been the type where you're lucky if they don't charge you for taking it off your hands). Haven't got the space or time to break it myself, but I don't really want to let some s$$$$py fleece me when he'll make a fortune out of it (The rest of the car is in good condition and the engine's runs beautifully and ain't been that far)

I what way is the suspension failing/falling apart? It might be that it can be sorted cheaply and save you having to get rid.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

What did it fail on exactly?

Springs are only 40 quid per pair, shocks are 35 quid each.

Comment

Originally posted by wahchild
        Just been for my MOT and found out that my suspension is going to cost me a lot of pain and money over the next few years so it looks like it's time to put the old truck out of it's misery.

Was wondering if anyone knows if I'll get a reasonable price from a s$$$$py, or how much I should be insisting on? (all my previous cars have been the type where you're lucky if they don't charge you for taking it off your hands). Haven't got the space or time to break it myself, but I don't really want to let some s$$$$py fleece me when he'll make a fortune out of it (The rest of the car is in good condition and the engine's runs beautifully and ain't been that far)
        what is actually wrong with the suspension as new springs wont cost a lot roughly £60 all in and new shocks are £35 each
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Got any pics of it and does it have a sunroof?????
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

As previously said, what did it fail on?

Mine recently failed on its suspension. But, after fitting 4 new shockers from Roughtrax, a new track rod end and new brake pipes through out, it only cost me £270. Thats all parts, labour and an MOT.

Martin
            Which Wychwood would you choose?

Comment

I say suspension - complete underside might be a better description. I think the previous owner must have kept it overnight in a lake or something.

Failures:
              Nearside front lower suspension arm corroded and seriously weakened
              Nearside inner rear (front to rear at load valve) brake pipe excessively corroded
              Offside inner rear (front to rear at load valve) brake pipe excessively corroded
              Front (load valve to flex hose) brake pipe excessivley corroded
              Nearside front lower (wishbone rotten at anti-roll bush mounting) anti-roll bar attachment bracket/mounting corroded to excess

Advisories (or fun for next year):
              Front suspension arm has slight play in ball joint
              Offside front lower suspension arm corroded
              Offside front upper suspension arm corroded
              Nearside front upper suspension arm corroded
              Nearside front upper suspension arm rubber mounting deteriorated
              Nearside front lower suspension arm rubber mounting deteriorated
              Offside front upper suspension arm rubber mounting deteriorated
              Offside front lower suspension arm rubber mounting deteriorated
              Slight play in all track rod/drag ling ends, ball joint has slight play
              Nearside front front wheel bearing has slight play
              Offside front front wheel bearing has slight play
              Nearside front brake pipe slightly corroded
              Offside front brake pipe slightly corroded
              Nearside outer rear (flex hose to nearside wheel) brake pipe slightly corroded
              Offside outer rear (flex hose to offside wheel) brake pipe slightly corroded
              (Heavy rusting adjacent to rear spring mounts) suspension spring mounting prescribed area is corroded but not excessive
              (Heavy rusting adjacent to rear axle locating arm mountings) suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not excessive
              (all rear axle locating arm bushes deteriorated) tie bar/rod rubber bush deteriorated
              (all,) anti-roll bar rubber bush deteriorated
              Heavy rusting in both sidestep mounting brackets.

Oh, and I need a new screw for the front registration plate.
              Sounds like a money pit to me...

Comment

Thats a lot of text to describe something that need not be that expensive if you are handy with a spanner.

As for the side steps and ARB, take em off and throw em away!
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

All sounds a bit anal to me, surely you would have noticed it was as bad as they say when you bought it?

A missing numberplate screw?????? Definitely sc rap it then!!!!!!!

Comment

I've had it for about 3 years and it was a bit untidy on the bottom - was expecting to get a few more years out of it though.

Not really that handy with a spanner and I don't have anywhere to work on it either - apart from a busy street.

Comment

I'm guessing you took it to a different MOT garage this year then?

By the looks of the failure sheet, it shouldn't have passed last year either.

Comment

Only piccie I have at work is a couple of years old:

And it does have a sunroof...

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                          I'm guessing you took it to a different MOT garage this year then?

By the looks of the failure sheet, it shouldn't have passed last year either.
                          Exact same one as last year - most of the failures were advisories last year.

Should point out that this is the same guy I've been going to for years (who passed my 19 year old Scirocco first time, so I've always considered him fairly reliable and not just out to make money)
                          Last edited by wahchild; 11 October 2007, 14:16.

Comment

get the failed bits done for the mot and the advisories get them done over the next 12 months
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Exact same one as last year - most of the failures were advisories last year.

Should point out that this is the same guy I've been going to for years (who passed my 19 year old Scirocco first time, so I've always considered him fairly reliable and not just out to make money)

OK, fair point.

It's too nice to break up though, I think a trip down to TonyN is needed, he could do the work and MOT it for less than the sc rap yard would pay for it.

Probably!

Failing that, you could advertise it as an MOT failure and still get 1800 for it I reckon, around 2400 + with an MOT and a tidy up..

Comment

Working...
                              X