No announcement yet.

Yoda Lives.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when you put the timing belt back on,did you compensate the belt tension by "moving" the belt along by a tooth.

in fact have you taken it for a spin yet?

this should tell you if the pump timing/injectors are at fault.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
      when you put the timing belt back on,did you compensate the belt tension by "moving" the belt along by a tooth.

in fact have you taken it for a spin yet?

this should tell you if the pump timing/injectors are at fault.
      After turning the engine over by hand around 10 times the marks were all lined up.

I've been for a short ride. Too scared to open the engine up yet but was running pretty smooth.

Just been out again, it's hard to get it to start. Seems to turn over well but takes a while to bite.

A friend of mine is here and describes the smoke as blue not gray...

Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

are your glo plugs working properly?

should be reasonably easy to start

is it only when its cold its hard to start?

blue oil usually signifies oil,which to be perfectly honest may be you burning off the excess crud you have accumalated during the rebuild

if it persists then there may be an oil issue,perhaps extra damage during the initial boil up/breakdown

just be brave and take it for a spin and see what happens!!

good luck

let us all know what happens matey
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Ok! Gonna take it for a drive later and see how we go.
          Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

I would seriously change the oil with cheap nasty stuff and a filter, then run a couple of hundred km's then change the oil again with the stuff you want to use. If the head went before your oil will be bad anyway. Thats what i'd do, and whiteish grey smoke could be running too lean, if after youve run it substantially it still does it pump mod and egr mod could stop it
            Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
              I would seriously change the oil with cheap nasty stuff and a filter, then run a couple of hundred km's then change the oil again with the stuff you want to use. If the head went before your oil will be bad anyway. Thats what i'd do, and whiteish grey smoke could be running too lean, if after youve run it substantially it still does it pump mod and egr mod could stop it
              dont know about you mate but im dying to find out how this ends up!!
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I know, as if it ever happens to me i know what to do. Drive it buddy drive it, get it out and report back. I'd be dropping the oil hail rain or storm, and driving it 3 days solid to make sure.
                Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

I know, as if it ever happens to me i know what to do. Drive it buddy drive it, get it out and report back. I'd be dropping the oil hail rain or storm, and driving it 3 days solid to make sure.
                  absolutely.

and being 1500 metres up

i would chop it in for a decent 3.0 litre!!!
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

absolutely.

and being 1500 metres up

i would chop it in for a decent 3.0 litre!!!
                    Dont get giddy now! I will always keep my 2.4 cos thats the original engine! apart from soft heads and rads, they run better on veg and are less prone to other problems, 3.0litres tend to have bearing and tappet problems. I just like the 2.4's ability to run on anything.

Having said that if someone came along with the right truck and a decent offer i think i would go for it. But the 2.4 as its my first surf i will never sell it even if it means storing it.

Hes still online, ski get driving
                    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

did i get all unnecessary!!

yeah cmon dude

go out and drive it like you stole it!!!!

Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

did i get all unnecessary!!

yeah cmon dude

go out and drive it like you stole it!!!!

Have you got a 3 buddy?
                        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

not yet!!!!

i have a 2.4 she still works well,has a genuine toyota head replacement,(it came to me like that)

am seriously considering a 3rd gen for next year,but not to replace mine just as an addition to the family!!!!

mine is used for work,and play!!

just need something else to be the family car
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

not yet!!!!

i have a 2.4 she still works well,has a genuine toyota head replacement,(it came to me like that)

am seriously considering a 3rd gen for next year,but not to replace mine just as an addition to the family!!!!

mine is used for work,and play!!

just need something else to be the family car
                            Ive noticed that a common dnominator for 2.4 head failure is nearly always coolant prob first. If you have new gauge reg replace therm and cap and replace pipes and put in decent coolant and keep your eyes peeled it should run forever

No sub for good maintenance
                            Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Ive noticed that a common dnominator for 2.4 head failure is nearly always coolant prob first. If you have new gauge reg replace therm and cap and replace pipes and put in decent coolant and keep your eyes peeled it should run forever

No sub for good maintenance
                              yep!!!!

replaced my rad about three months ago.coolant is still nice and green

keep a close eye on the guage,and rad cap and thermo and all is well.
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

yep!!!!

replaced my rad about three months ago.coolant is still nice and green

keep a close eye on the guage,and rad cap and thermo and all is well.
                                I also find those who never drive theirs never have a cracked head. I still need to replace my rad as a matter of course, it isnt blocked just old, and would benefit i think.
                                Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Working...
                                X