Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoda Lives.

Yoda (my Surf) lives!

Having only ever done an oil change and changed the batteries on my truck, or any vehicle for that matter, I don't consider myself to even be a "home" mechanic.

Today I'm on fire.

I have changed the head on Yoda and the damn thing still works! Running very very smooth, all things considered. It's taken me around 4 weeks of on and off work. All of which has been on my own apart from a little help with lifting the old head off and dropping the new one on.

I was called brave by many people, I thought I may be stupid. Now I just feel like a smug git!!!!!!!!

I used a complete head from Peer parts, after I've run it for a bit I'll post a separate thread on whether or not I'd recommend this head or not. It was cheap. For now it's on and running so I'm beyond happy.

With nothing but a Haynes manual and loads of help from a few of you diamond diamond people, my truck lives.

I was super careful and organised when I was stripping the parts off to get at the head but I've still got two bolts left over And there's exhaust fumes coming from the exhaust / exhaust manifold area somewhere. I think / hope they are related.

And we won at rugby. And... and... and... SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW.

Thanks forum people, thanks Haynes, thanks Toyota.

Gavin.
    Last edited by Ski_Extra; 10 October 2007, 15:46.
    Surfin' Swiss Style...

Cool, big undertaking for someone unfamiliar to mechanics
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Well done Gavin.Next it will be a v8 going in
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

nicely done i would be chuffed with myself too

well done matey
        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

i have been following this thread from the depths of despair at the beginning to the quite obvious elation now!!

dude its been EMOTIONAL
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Well done that man, a good job well done.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

very very very brave, especially with no experience. well done mate, hope it all stays good.
              i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Thanks, I'm still smiling!

Does inspire me to learn more and do more. V8 would be amazing...

Would love to stick a big lift, snorkel and winch on it but it's not going to be this one...
                Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

good on you mate. its the way to do it, get stuck in..

i few years ago i had a race car that needed its engine refreshed.. so one night after work i started taking it out.
                  so i know how it feels having no previous knowledge / experience and it wasnt easy, so nice one
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I even managed to find where the two spare bolts went today and hopefully have sorted out the exhaust fumes that are in the engine bay (around the turbo blower somewhere).

There seems to be a large amount of white slightly gray smoke. Not too worried yet, I've looked up loads of threads on it.

It's most likely to be the injectors, I'm going to get a quote to see how much to get them service here but fear it will be silly money here. 10km before the head died I stuck a bottle on injector cleaner in the tank but it hasn't run through yet.

Also possibly some water in the oil from condensation etc when the head was off. Oil and filter change in 300km according to Dr Haynes.

Does it just need a good run in before I get all diagnostic?
                    Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

Does the white smoke = timing belt on sat on the injection pump sprocket properly?
                      Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

Originally posted by Ski_Extra
                        Does the white smoke = timing belt on sat on the injection pump sprocket properly?
                        depends!!!!

white smoke generally means either pump timing(yours is running)

or water.

is it getting hot again?

if not it probably isnt condensation in the oil.

can you get the coolant analysed for exhaust gases anywhere?
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                          depends!!!!

white smoke generally means either pump timing(yours is running)

or water.

is it getting hot again?

if not it probably isnt condensation in the oil.

can you get the coolant analysed for exhaust gases anywhere?
                          There's no thermostat in it just now. Obviously it's taking a while to heat up but I had the engine run for an hour and it didn't start to over heat. Which it did when the head had gone.

I was thinking more than just condensation in the oil actually, I had the head off for about a week to ten days, with some really nasty weather. Are there oil ports in the block or is that just coolant? If there are oil ports in the block then I'm pretty sure there will be some water in the oil. (I couldn't get at the block coolant drain either, so it stayed filled with water, sometimes we get massive pressure changes, I could open the bonnet in the morning and find coolant had been forced up out of it's ports).

I can get the coolant analysed for exhaust gases. What would this tell me? Head gasket not set properly or problems with the big end?

Thanks for your help.
                          Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

Originally posted by Ski_Extra
                            There's no thermostat in it just now. Obviously it's taking a while to heat up but I had the engine run for an hour and it didn't start to over heat. Which it did when the head had gone.

I was thinking more than just condensation in the oil actually, I had the head off for about a week to ten days, with some really nasty weather. Are there oil ports in the block or is that just coolant? If there are oil ports in the block then I'm pretty sure there will be some water in the oil. (I couldn't get at the block coolant drain either, so it stayed filled with water, sometimes we get massive pressure changes, I could open the bonnet in the morning and find coolant had been forced up out of it's ports).

I can get the coolant analysed for exhaust gases. What would this tell me? Head gasket not set properly or problems with the big end?

Thanks for your help.

how high up are you?

does the preesure vary that wildly!!!!

seems that if you are pretty sure that there is an oil/water mix it needs to be changed.

if the problem persists it would be prudent to get the coolant checked for exhaust gases,this will tell you if the head is doing okay(if no gas present)

or worse case scenario its still bu55ered

i dont want to teach granny how to suck eggs,but when you refitted the head,was the block/head surfaces absolutely spotlessley clean
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                              how high up are you?

does the preesure vary that wildly!!!!

seems that if you are pretty sure that there is an oil/water mix it needs to be changed.

if the problem persists it would be prudent to get the coolant checked for exhaust gases,this will tell you if the head is doing okay(if no gas present)

or worse case scenario its still bu55ered

i dont want to teach granny how to suck eggs,but when you refitted the head,was the block/head surfaces absolutely spotlessley clean
                              No egg sucking here! I need all the help I can get.

We're at 1500m above sea level. So quite high.

All surfaces were very clean.

Might change the oil early and see what that says.

Still thinking it's a problem with the injectors and / or injector timing.
                              Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

Working...
                              X