Rev Counter Inaccurate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev Counter Inaccurate!

Can anyone tell me why my rev counter reads 500 revs but the engine speed is about 800 revs? I know how she should sound on tic over (750revs) and that reads 450 on the counter. Why would that be? She runs perfectly with no other problems, cheers fellas
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
    Can anyone tell me why my rev counter reads 500 revs but the engine speed is about 800 revs? I know how she should sound on tic over (750revs) and that reads 450 on the counter. Why would that be? She runs perfectly with no other problems, cheers fellas

Has the speedo faces been changed? Although that shouldn't affect the tacho, but if the tacho needle has been removed, the ignition needs to be on before re-fitting the needle at zero otherwise the tacho will read too high.

Comment

Sorry no idea on tickover mine sometimes drops to about 400 rpm on the rev counter then a couple of minutes later jumps back to normal. Don't affect drvivng it though.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Has the speedo faces been changed? Although that shouldn't affect the tacho, but if the tacho needle has been removed, the ignition needs to be on before re-fitting the needle at zero otherwise the tacho will read too high.
        Its a gradual thing thats happened over 2 - 3 days, tonight engine is still tickin the same but the needle is at 300 revs. Faces wernt changed

Cheers fellas
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

If the clocks have been fiddled with it is possible to refit or even press on the needle and this will make it stick against the clock face. Get a spoon behind the needle and lift it a little. If not it's something mechanical or electronic on the clock. Take them out and have a look.
          http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
            Its a gradual thing thats happened over 2 - 3 days, tonight engine is still tickin the same but the needle is at 300 revs. Faces wernt changed

Cheers fellas
            Mine has started this but reads over 4k when it should be under 3k

Then the needle starts jumpin up an down

Have worked out that it only does it when it's really cold n foggy so summat must be sticking.
            How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Originally posted by Bibs
              Mine has started this but reads over 4k when it should be under 3k

Then the needle starts jumpin up an down

Have worked out that it only does it when it's really cold n foggy so summat must be sticking.
              could it be the needle?
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
                could it be the needle?
                Ha ha ha

D'ya know you might just be right.

Stupid statement made I know .

I thought It might be something else packing up or........why I am trying to back track I do not know....

Comment

obviously the needle has to be on some form of splines that turn and could any of these internal bits of dried out and sticking
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

mine did this on hot days , the non jap speedo face would bow under heat and the speedo would jam at 60 . after a while it would kick over to 70 - 80 mph , same on de - acceleration , sticky

took out the clocks and repositioned the needle , been fine ever since
                    Last edited by internetsurfer; 13 October 2007, 16:54.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
                      obviously the needle has to be on some form of splines that turn and could any of these internal bits of dried out and sticking
                      Pain the the rear to take out so I am going to live with it until it really annoys me

Comment

Originally posted by Bibs
                        Pain the the rear to take out so I am going to live with it until it really annoys me
                        It comes out in 20 minutes, can give you instructions if you want.
                        =========
                        =SOLD UP!=
                        =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                          It comes out in 20 minutes, can give you instructions if you want.
                          Last time we took out there was lots of swearin, it nearly got smashed so if there is an easy way

Comment

Working...
                          X