X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think?

1993 2.4TD SSRX with 55k miles on the clock

Fitted with a full lift kit

£5995 (OTR with 3 month warranty). Delaer was honest about the problems with cracking cylinder heads.

Originally posted by gavnnik
    1993 2.4TD SSRX with 55k miles on the clock

Fitted with a full lift kit

£5995 (OTR with 3 month warranty). Delaer was honest about the problems with cracking cylinder heads.
    Hello gavin & welcome. did the dealer say he would pu the head right if it went within 3 months warranty. Dont worry too much all 2.4 heads dont go as it may have been recalled when in japan to have the redisgned head fitted. you could do with getting all the import & auction papers or at least copies from him. you need to check the mileage on the original paperwork as well.
    The price is ok as long as you are happy with the vehicle
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

The warranty would cover the heads.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for when viewing the vehicle (but please bear in mind I'm not a mechanic).

Comment

Read this it should give you a good idea of what to look for.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

Comment

The warranty would cover the heads.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for when viewing the vehicle (but please bear in mind I'm not a mechanic).
          If the head is covered you have the major worry off your hands. Check underneath to make sure that it is all clean and looks as if it has been serviced, when you get it get the Timing belt changed (or get the dealer to do it) and a good full service including flushing out the cooling system and filling with new good quality antifreeze.

Check for chassis damage, body damage etc like you would any other car.

Also have a look here..
          http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

There is some good info on what you should look for.

Cheers

Comment

Whats the 'full lift kit'

Check the install carefully, especially the front, IFS is easily bodged, if it look like a pro kit it should be OK, but if anything looks home made (odd bits of welded brackets etc, steer clear. look for oddly worn tyres.

Modified trucks usually go for cheaper than a stock one at dealers.

Unless you intend to lift the truck you buy, I'd be careful, non-standard parts are gonna be tricky to replace or get serviced, garages don't like them and insurance Co's get nervous.

If you're only talking a 2" body lift or Heavy duty springs, not really a problem.

But if you wanna go big, get it!
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Not sure what the lift kit is.

It's waiting for registration in the UK so the kit must have been fitted in Japan.

Comment

Here's a (small) picture.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's a (small) picture.
                  Looks like it has been lifted maybe 2" or 3" top. Depends on what those tyres are. It's probably a 2" lift on the back with uprated and longer springs on the back and tweaked torsion bars on the front.

One thing also to check is with that sort of lift the shocks will be at the end of their travel unless aftermarket shocks have been fitted like Pro comp, Old Man Emu etc.

Cheers

Comment

How can I tell whether aftermarket shocks have been fitted?

Also how worried should I be about the head problem?

Comment

How can I tell whether aftermarket shocks have been fitted?

Also how worried should I be about the head problem?
                      For one thing the adjustable suspension switch will be missing or not working, also look at the shock itself, the Toyota adjustable ones have wires running to them. Also have a look at the name on the - Pro Comp, etc.

Cheers

Comment

Looking at the bash plate, I'd say its all body lift, although its hard to tell cos it painted and may just stand out cos of that.If so not much to worry about, make sure the gear levers all work without hitting the floor, a manual will just out of 2nd and 4th unless the shifter hole is enlarged, or the levers reshaped. If its an Auto, check 1st and 2nd and Park select OK.

Also chect the brake lines are not to streched, and the steering shaft is OK.

Looks good.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

That's the best looking surf i've seen in a long time. Do it, buy it!!!

Comment

i was thinkin body lift too! Looks in good cond though!
                            Derek :
                            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                            [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Working...
                            X