Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Weather Prediction

Warm, wet winter ahead
    This winter is forecast to be warmer and perhaps drier than average. However, it is expected to be noticeably colder than last year, which was the second warmest winter since the UK climate series began in 1914.
    There is a high probability that this winter will be drier than last year, which was exceptionally wet.

Rob Varley, Director of Government Business at the Met Office commented: "Most of the winters in the last ten years have been relatively mild, with last winter being the second warmest on record. Although the Met Office has predicted the likelihood of another mild winter we expect it to be noticeably colder than last year. This advice will allow contingency and resource planners in government and business to be better prepared for the winter ahead."

Some facts and figures

The 1971 to 2000 average winter temperature for the UK is 3.7 0C. The average winter precipitation for the UK is 332mm.
    Winter 2006/7 saw an average UK mean temperature of 5.6 0C and average UK precipitation of 437mm
    The winter is taken to be the months of December, January and February.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

I got stuck in the snow last year.......

Now that snow will not be a problem, I bet we don't get any!

Then again the met office are rarely right these days anyway, even though they try to keep their predictions vague enough to cover most eventualities, they still get it wrong :P
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

karma supra, i bought my surf 7 days after it snowed. i was gutted. ive been hoping ever since for snow. i was hoping it was snowing in france, but no luck there either
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

It will never snow or flood ever again, not now we are prepared!
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra
          It will never snow or flood ever again, not now we are prepared!
          IT WILL
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            Warm, wet winter ahead....
            or did they mean cooler and drier:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2545149.ece

I don't think they know!

Comment

I go by the farmers estimation up here, and there is already snow on glenshee, 25 miles up the road. They say that its gonna be very very cold, quite dry but a lardge amount of snow in one lump. I got snow already guys, i can visit it whenever i want
              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

yep- weve mhad snow up here a couple times in last week, above 700m ish

here is a pic from cairngorms last week

and a freind Helen's pic of her skiing on cairngorm at the same time

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...ds/7018182.stm
                Landcruiser Colorado
                Sub. Forester

Comment

Aye, but Scotland still gets propper weather, unlike us folk down south, all we get is wind and rain.

It's just too warm down here in the winter, and I live by the sea, where the temp is about 4 degrees warmer than inland.
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

i predict this winter will not take place.

in fact, next week will become last year until 4o'clock each morning on alternate odd days when the time will be a purple hanky. then if anyone in the world blows their nose at this point or sneezes then we will be back in the summer just gone but this will actually only occur during a three legged race of the autumn of 1983 - which of course has already happened so therefore, all this will occur and the outcome will be that this winter will be slightly wedge shaped and used to keep room 182 in the Hollowby Hotel slightly ajar because the lock's fecked and if Neil doesn't get it fixed soon there's gonna be big big trouble.

coz if that door can't be locked by 2:16am on friday, i can't call home.
                    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                      i predict this winter will not take place.

in fact, next week will become last year until 4o'clock each morning on alternate odd days when the time will be a purple hanky. then if anyone in the world blows their nose at this point or sneezes then we will be back in the summer just gone but this will actually only occur during a three legged race of the autumn of 1983 - which of course has already happened so therefore, all this will occur and the outcome will be that this winter will be slightly wedge shaped and used to keep room 182 in the Hollowby Hotel slightly ajar because the lock's fecked and if Neil doesn't get it fixed soon there's gonna be big big trouble.

coz if that door can't be locked by 2:16am on friday, i can't call home.

Makes as much sense as the weather

You been smokin' some bad grenola!
                      Last edited by plumb bob; 3 October 2007, 19:44.
                      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Thats weird as the weather woman on GMTV 2 weeks ago said that this winter will be colder ,less rain and more snow.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
                          I go by the farmers estimation up here, and there is already snow on glenshee, 25 miles up the road. They say that its gonna be very very cold, quite dry but a lardge amount of snow in one lump. I got snow already guys, i can visit it whenever i want
                          Glenshee eh - I spent most of my childhood in lower Glenshee (Blacklunance). When I was young we had proper winters and would open the door to a solid wall of snow and spend hours digging sheep out. The weekly shop was in Blairgowrie. I still have a bit of land next door in Glenisla.

Farmers usually have a pretty good handle on the weather.

Jacqueline

Comment

Originally posted by jax
                            Glenshee eh - I spent most of my childhood in lower Glenshee (Blacklunance). When I was young we had proper winters and would open the door to a solid wall of snow and spend hours digging sheep out. The weekly shop was in Blairgowrie. I still have a bit of land next door in Glenisla.

Farmers usually have a pretty good handle on the weather.

Jacqueline
                            Im in Blair, and I love it, Roads are ace and, and life is nice and slow.
                            Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Working...
                            X