Bent Chassis maybe??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Chassis maybe??

Hi everyone, been a while since i posted last.
    Had a dink today when i went down a verge and bottomed out on the kerb quiet severely in the centre of the truck. Side step was ripped off and the underside cross member of the chassis has been dented (the one just behind the fuel tank) and bent slightly ripping part of the weld. It does look a bit messy hence the concern but is no way near breaking completely.
    What kind of effect on my wallet will this have if i need to get it fixed at all.
    Sorry there is no photos i cant find my camera

The good thing is i have removed the other side step and all brackets as the surf looks better than ever! So there are a set up for grabs if anyone want them, if i hear nothing they will be on DelBay in a few weeks.

Cheers
    Kite Surf

You may need to get it put on a jig to know for sure what kind of damage has been done.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

I dought chassis is bent as they need a good smack to bend them . The xmember sounds like it needs tapping back into place and rewelding .
      If you do find your camera take a piccy and I will give you a better answer . I have dealt with artic chassis and trailer chassis in old job and they take a hell of a battering to bend . Surf chassis is the same design.
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
        I dought chassis is bent as they need a good smack to bend them . The xmember sounds like it needs tapping back into place and rewelding .
        If you do find your camera take a piccy and I will give you a better answer . I have dealt with artic chassis and trailer chassis in old job and they take a hell of a battering to bend . Surf chassis is the same design.
        Cheers Rick will dig out the camera
        Kite Surf

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
          i've seen some VERY bent ones!!...

used to work next to a recovery yard and quite often they'd have wheels off the ground.

also quite often still had body parts in them!!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            i've seen some VERY bent ones!!...

used to work next to a recovery yard and quite often they'd have wheels off the ground.

also quite often still had body parts in them!!
            Yeah , but they did get a lot bigger hit then dropping off a kerb .
            Ever seen how they straighten a lorry trailer chassis ?

Comment

I'd go with Rick, if the bent xmember IS pulling the chassis together, pulling the xmember straight or cutting the weld completely will probably spring the chassis back, then you can wled it back on. But I doubt its as bad as that.

Shoulda had some rock sliders!

Hopefully it'll be OK, how did it drive after?
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I know of a Surf/4Runner on this Forum with an O/S rear chassis rail 1/2" higher then the N/S and has no effect on vehicle at all .

Comment

Working...
                X