How accurate are Sat Nav speed clocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How accurate are Sat Nav speed clocks

Last week when driving to Tony & Linda's i had 31x1050x15's on the truck and the satnav was reading 5mph less than the speedo on the truck.So doing 70mph on the speedo the SatNav reads 65mph.

I have just taken the truck out and when the speedo reads 70mph the SatNav reads 69mph and
    at 60mph on the speedo the SatNav reads 59mph.
    When the speedo reads 30mph the satnav reads27/28mph and i am now running 33x1250x15's.
    All i really need to know is do these speeds sound about right or will i be better off doing a speed test with another motor
    Thanks all
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

the sat-nav should be accurate in a straight line as long as it's not running slowly/short on memory. If the satnav is accurate with your position at junctions etc and not 'lagging' then the sat nav is probably as accurate as your gonna get.

I think i'm right in saying car manufacturers have a certain allowance on new cars that the speedo can read over, but not under. So generally car speedo's on the factory tyre size will read a few mph over your actual speed anyway.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

sat nav should show a truer reading than your speedo rich
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

More sats equals better accuracy and as long as its in a straight line on a flat road should be about as good as you'll get. As to the speedo most cars are about 10% high so bigger tyre the nearer actual speed will be on the speedo will be right

Comment

With 31"x10.5x15" on mine, my sat nav gives the exact same reading as my speedo.
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Thanks guys.This is what i thought but just thought its best to double check
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
              Last week when driving to Tony & Linda's i had 31x1050x15's on the truck and the satnav was reading 5mph less than the speedo on the truck.So doing 70mph on the speedo the SatNav reads 65mph.

I have just taken the truck out and when the speedo reads 70mph the SatNav reads 69mph and
              at 60mph on the speedo the SatNav reads 59mph.
              When the speedo reads 30mph the satnav reads27/28mph and i am now running 33x1250x15's.
              All i really need to know is do these speeds sound about right or will i be better off doing a speed test with another motor
              Thanks all
              dude,hit your sat nav with a big stick!!!

its not that accurate only within a few metres or so.you need one of apa
              ches radar thingys to get a real accurate reading.as you have fitted bigger tyres, you may find that a your speed increases so does the innacuracy of your speedo,because the tyres are going around"less" your speed (say an indicated 100kmph) will say the obvious you are travelling at 100 kim per hour or 1.6km per minute or 0.027 metres per second.that 0.027 metres may be a bit of the extra circumference of your tyre,so in not making a full revolutin with respect to your speedo reading

its to small really to make much difference,other than to say as your speed increases with respect to distance travelled on calibrayed tyres,the reading you get will be slightly optomistic.
              look on the bright side you shouldn't get a speeding ticket
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

my tom tom usually matches the speedo upto 30mph and then reads lower than the speedo... 70 on the speedo is only 65 on satnav
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                  my tom tom usually matches the speedo upto 30mph and then reads lower than the speedo... 70 on the speedo is only 65 on satnav

Same here.

Comment

went out for a walk with the dog while tracking on satnav, when i downloaded the results, it showed my fastest speed as 22mph and had quite a few squiggles where it had lost signal etc.
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                      dude,hit your sat nav with a big stick!!!

its not that accurate only within a few metres or so.
                      Navigation-wise you're right. However, speed wise they are VERY accurate when travelling in a straight line at a constant speed. Much more accurate than a drivetrain driven speedo.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

There is also the 600ms delay between the send and recieve on the GPS unit.
                        There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

Originally posted by onlynik
                          There is also the 600ms delay between the send and recieve on the GPS unit.
                          Not sure of the relevance of the time it takes for the signal from the sat to hit the rx...

Comment

Latency is an issue unless its coded into the device to compensate.
                            There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

It has to be to a certain extent in order for any kind of sensible accuracy for navigation.

The inaccuracy latency produces is in the noise when it comes to velocity calculation.

Comment

Working...
                              X