Cookies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookies

Having a disagreement with my daughter regarding cookies and whether I should disable my cookie filter, as "bebo" won't work without the cookie filter enabled.

Should I or shouldn't I disable my cookie filter, and what bad things can happen if I do??
    Rob

Still working for the man!

I beleive most cookies are harmless. This site for example plants a cookie if you ask it to remember you. All it means is you dont have to log in each time. There are cookies which track your activity so that they can pop up advertising to suit your apparent interests ( tracking cookies ) and you have the option of deleting them all from time to time or when you end a net session. Tools/Internet options/delete cookies) Ive never bothered much about them. Im sure someone clever will appear soon with more info.

Bogus
    Сви можемо

Comment

Download and run Adaware or Spybot regularly. Either (or both) will find the unwanted cookies and delete them as well as trojan horses and all the other sneaky software that downloads itself to your computer when you go online.

I run mine every couple of weeks and despite trying to be careful where I surf (the net) I still pick up quite a few. My step-daughter hadn't bothered with any security for her laptop and was surprised when it stopped working properly. When I downloaded Adaware from CD for her and ran it on her laptop it found over 1K cookies, spyware etc. Also need Reg Mechanic to sort out all the problems on her operating system. And she wondered why she was the victim of identity fraud.
      Mike G

Comment

I run spybot every day before I shut down ( last thing) as I'm a bit paranoid about viruses and the like, lost a lot of time and a couple of hard drives in the past, and now I'm down to one laptop ( from two PC's and two laptops) bl00dy expensive things, viruses! ................

So concensus is, I can disable my cookie filter so no.1 daughter can be happy and go on "bebo".

Thanks for the input guys.
        Last edited by plumb bob; 29 September 2007, 23:58.
        Rob

Comment

Hi Plum Bob

Re Bebo. My daughter has a bebo account which i regularly check to make sure that she isn't posting info which could be used in the wrong way! One of her friends on it has posted full name, age, where she lives, school details etc. Luckily for me my daughter is more web-wise and personal details are almost non-existant

So if you do let her on it's worth keeping an eye on, also check what her friends are posting about her. I check them them on a random basis, found one that was giving out personal details of my daughter. Got my daughter to get them to remove them.
          My other cars a QUAD
          (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
          http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot
            Hi Plum Bob

Re Bebo. My daughter has a bebo account which i regularly check to make sure that she isn't posting info which could be used in the wrong way! One of her friends on it has posted full name, age, where she lives, school details etc. Luckily for me my daughter is more web-wise and personal details are almost non-existant

So if you do let her on it's worth keeping an eye on, also check what her friends are posting about her. I check them them on a random basis, found one that was giving out personal details of my daughter. Got my daughter to get them to remove them.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll do that.
            Rob

Comment

Working...
            X